PDA

View Full Version : Column Embedded in Foundation Pier

jrostar
2010-09-12, 01:10 AM
I'm doing some structural modeling in Revit Arch 2011...

I have a custom shaped Foundation Pier in the model and I'm placing the steel columns above. The columns are embedded into the concrete piers about 3'-5". When I drop the base of the column down to the right height I get this message:

"An attached Structural Foundation will be moved to the bottom of the Column."

It then squishes the Foundation Pier instead of allowing the two to overlap (see attached image)

Is there a setting or something I can do to have the column inset into the pier correctly? I've tried to 'Detach Top/Base' but it won't let me select the Foundation.

Jmickledesign
2010-09-12, 04:36 AM
I typically just create a pier with a concrete column and that will fix your problem. I don't think there is a way around your problem unless you change your pier from a foundation. If you need a weird size or shape create an in place family and tag it as a column and that should fix your problem.

Good luck

benmay
2010-09-12, 05:00 AM
You can align and lock your isolated foundation to a level or model element such as a slab, it will then ignore the column. This workflow is fine for a small number of columns but could be a problem on a larger number

You dont even need to lock, align by itself will work. But if the column is readjusted it will then move the foundation back to the bottom. Locking will always keep the foundation in that postion

jrostar
2010-09-12, 03:09 PM
Align worked great! Thanks!