PDA

View Full Version : Total Area

mboyer
2010-09-13, 01:52 PM
I want to place a line of text that indicates the total square footage of all my departments on a sheet. Is this possible? I've tried via Schedules, but I can't show only the total area. Instead I get the breakdown of areas w/ the total because I can't hide the area column. Obviously I could just place a piece of text and manually enter the area, but that's not very cool.

jamesgchambers
2010-09-13, 04:19 PM
I'd use a schedule, sort by department. Make sure "Itemize Each Instance" is unchecked. Then go to the formatting tab, pick the area column and make sure "Calculate Totals" is checked. This will sum up all the areas for each department and report the total area.

mboyer
2010-09-13, 04:34 PM
I'd use a schedule, sort by department. Make sure "Itemize Each Instance" is unchecked. Then go to the formatting tab, pick the area column and make sure "Calculate Totals" is checked. This will sum up all the areas for each department and report the total area.

That's what I've done. The problem is, I don't want to see anything BUT the total. This process still shows the areas that make up the total.

greg.mcdowell
2010-09-13, 05:41 PM
I can't tell from your question if you tried using an Area Plan. You can create a tag that just reports the area enclosed by boundary lines and move it where ever it's needed.

mboyer
2010-09-13, 06:28 PM
I can't tell from your question if you tried using an Area Plan. You can create a tag that just reports the area enclosed by boundary lines and move it where ever it's needed.
Is this tag a family I'd have to create?

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-13, 06:31 PM
That's what I've done. The problem is, I don't want to see anything BUT the total. This process still shows the areas that make up the total.

In a room schedule, what you are asking for, is not possible. The Area column must be present in order to have a total of areas.

As an alternative, you could create an area plan, create a gross building area, and then a Schedule of areas by Gross building. The schedule will show only one row with the total area.

mboyer
2010-09-13, 06:46 PM
Well that was simple. Ultimately, I ended up just removing the Room Field from the Scheduled fields list. The end result was only the Area Field showing. This resulted in just one column/row showing the total area of all my rooms. Thanks for all the feedback.