PDA

View Full Version : partitions to underside of linked floor?

MikeJarosz
2010-09-13, 03:56 PM
My firm has three offices located around the US. One Revit project we are working on has our Kentucky office modelling the core and shell, while the NYC office is fitting out the interior.

Although we are looking at Steelhead and/or Global Scape to link everyone together realtime, for now the Kentucky [KY] office sends us their core & shell via FTP and we link it to our interior fitout file. I have been auditing the model we recently produced and found a lot of partitions poking through the floor slab into the space above.

I suspect this is happening because the floor is in the link file from KY and the "attach to underside of slab" feature can't work over there because they don't have the partitions, and we can't fix it over here because we don't own the floors to edit them. If the floor slab were in our NY file, I could edit and close the floor and it would prompt " do you want to attach partitions to the underside........."

I would hate to have every partition run up to the floor above then offset down by the slab thickness, since the engineers haven't completely settled the slab design. We would wind up constantly fixing the partition heights.

Is there a solution I'm missing here?

Scott Womack
2010-09-13, 04:53 PM
Not a good one. You could make another level for each floor which is the underside of the structure, and have your walls go up to that level. Then when you adjust it, all the walls would adjust. If you place these "underside" levels in their own workset, or scope box, then you can control when they are actually seen in selctions/elevations.

dhurtubise
2010-09-14, 12:16 PM
Use Copy/Monitor and attach your wall to that slab.

MikeJarosz
2010-09-14, 07:31 PM
I did a copy/monitor of the second and third level floor slabs from the linked core/shell file into the interior fitout host file. I can select the floor slab in the host now, it is in the unique workset created for the linked core and shell and it shows the zigzag monitor icon when selected. It also indicates "stop monitoring" in the toolbar. So, I think I got the slabs copy/monitored into the host file correctly.

However, when I edit the copied floor slab, I get the familiar magenta line but after I close, I still don't get the option to attach the partitions to the underside of slab.

Ironically, if I open the core/shell file directly and edit a floor slab, I get the "attach wall" prompt for the very few walls that are in this file. (mostly MEP closets)

sbrown
2010-09-15, 12:25 PM
another option is to create a ref. plane that you align to the bot. side of each floor slab then attached to the ref. plane, then if you need to adjust you just move the ref. plane. Note the ref. plane can be sloped too if needed. Its good to remember you can attach walls to ref.planes as well as floors, roofs, etc.