PDA

View Full Version : Wall Opening

theshell07
2010-09-13, 04:37 PM
hi

Is it possible to make circular or any shape of opening other than square / rectangle on a wall.

For instance i want to make a oval shaped opening on a facade. Is it possible.

Scott Womack
2010-09-13, 04:55 PM
Not with the opening tool. You'll have to make an inplace Void object, set to cut the wall.

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-13, 06:35 PM
hi

Is it possible to make circular or any shape of opening other than square / rectangle on a wall.

For instance i want to make a oval shaped opening on a facade. Is it possible.

Go to an elevation view, select the wall > Edit profile > draw a circle, ellipse, or any combined shape inside the wall > Finish.

sthedens
2010-09-13, 06:42 PM
You could edit the profile of the wall and add an oval opening with sketch lines in elevation view.

dhurtubise
2010-09-14, 12:17 PM
I build families, that way i dont run into any issues with Rooms.

Andre Carvalho
2010-09-14, 05:40 PM
I second Daniel on that. I build families as well.

I'm not sure he does the same, but I start with a wall based generic model family and add an opening to it (using the Opening tool and sketching an elliptical shape). Then load it to the project and host it on a wall.

Andre Carvalho

cliff collins
2010-09-14, 05:59 PM
Another possible solution is to create a Window Family with no frame/extrusion/glazing,
( or however you want to finish the opening) and use it to create the round or varied shapes
for Openings. You can easily load/insert them and change sizes on the fly.

They will schedule as Windows, however--may or may not be appropriate depending
on the project.

cheers

Andre Carvalho
2010-09-14, 06:55 PM
They will schedule as Windows, however--may or may not be appropriate depending
on the project.

Cliff,

Even if start from a windows family you can always go to Family Category and Parameters and switch it to be any other category before loading the family to the project. If you don't want to schedule I'd recommend switch its category to generic models.

Andre Carvalho