PDA

View Full Version : Custom Parameter in Title Block

mboyer
2010-09-13, 07:49 PM
I want to create two parameters in a Titleblock that would allow our Planner to enter submittal dates separate from the already provided date parameters that our CDs would follow.
In other words I need the following:
Planning Original Submittal date
Planning Current Revision date
CD Issue date
CD revision date

I've tried creating a shared parameter, but not being familiar w/ them I do not know how to access this info once I go to my project. Any direction would be appreciated.

Joshua Kohl
2010-09-14, 12:04 PM
Marc,

After you create the shared parameters in your title block file and then import the title block into your template you will need to go to Manage --> Project Parameters. You will then need to click on the "Add.." button then you can choose your shared parameters from your shared parameter file and assign them to the proper categories, etc.

Hope this helps.

mboyer
2010-09-14, 12:21 PM
Marc,

After you create the shared parameters in your title block file and then import the title block into your template you will need to go to Manage --> Project Parameters. You will then need to click on the "Add.." button then you can choose your shared parameters from your shared parameter file and assign them to the proper categories, etc.

Hope this helps.

That is awesome!! Thanks!!

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 04:57 PM
OK, I've created new custom parameters called Sheet Creation Date and Scale in the Identity Data portion of my Title Block. They show up fine in the Titleblock.rfa file. However, when I load the rfa file into the project, the values show up as Sheet Creation Date and Scale under Identity Data, but when I enter values for them they don't show up on the sheet. I have tried going to manage in the Project and adding these parameters there, with no effect. I literally spent all day yesterday trying various methods to make it work, to no avail.

Another odd thing that is happening is that when I load the family into the project and go to Families > Titleblocks > My Titleblock, it shows 3 different titleblocks there - Sheets, Drawing Sheets, and Titleblocks. I fear now that I have somehow corrupted the family file beyond redemption and may need to start over from scratch. However, I thought I would check here first to see if there is a way to fix it, and also for me to gain more insight into how parameters work.

I'm attaching my family file, and the shared parameters files I've tried to make.

Thanx in advance.

cdatechguy
2011-02-07, 05:13 PM
You need to load those same shared parameters that you created in your titleblock into each project the titleblock will be used (suggest adding them to your template as well)

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 05:39 PM
You need to load those same shared parameters that you created in your titleblock into each project the titleblock will be used (suggest adding them to your template as well)

I realize that I need to do this, and spent all day yesterday trying to do exactly that, however, I am obviously doing something wrong, but can't seem to figure out what.

All of the pre-loaded parameters work just fine. The custom parameters do show up under Identity Data in the properties palette. If someone could show me the exact way to now have them show up in the Titleblock, it would be a huge help. I realize I am missing something, but simply cannot figure out what it is.

I'm using Revit Architecture 2011.

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 06:27 PM
OK, here is what I am doing, step by step:

In the Family File (rfa) I have inserted 2 labels, one called Creation Date, and one called Scale. I have inserted them into their proper location on the titleblock, and formatted them. They show up fine on the title block.

Now I go to Manage Tab, Shared Parameters. I create a new group called Identity Data, then 2 new parameters called Creation Date and Scale of type: Text. Then I hit OK.

Now I save the rfa file, and load it into my project. The Labels Creation Date and Scale do not show up on the Titleblock. I go to Manage Tab>Shared Parameters and the box that opens shows a parameter group of Identity Data, with the parameters Creation Date and Scale. I click OK. There is no sample text where Creation Date and Scale should be, however there is an entry in element Properties for Creation Date and Scale. I enter Not to Scale for the Scale value, and February 6, 2011 for Creation Date. They show up in the element properties values, but not on the Sheet.

Sorry, but I am simply baffled.

It seems my rvt project file is too large to upload, but it contains the RAE parameters file.

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 07:41 PM
OK, now I go into the Project with my titleblock family loaded.

I go to manage tab, shared parameters. Under Group Identity Data, Creation Date and Scale are shown. I click on each and review Properties, they show correctly.

Now I go to Project Parameters>highlight Creation Date, click shared parameter, then select, then I select Creation Date, as an instance, group it under Identity Data, under category Sheets, and click on ok. It says the selected parameter has already been added. I do the same thing for Scale and it says the selected parameter has already been added.

Again, both Parameters show up in the Properties Palette, but not on the sheet itself?

I'm missing something, but am clueless as to what it is.

cdatechguy
2011-02-07, 07:52 PM
Did you set your parameter to Sheets under Categories?

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 07:54 PM
BTW, this is now my RAE shared parameters file

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 07:57 PM
Did you set your parameter to Sheets under Categories?

Yes, Both Creation Date and Scale show up in my project when I click on Project Parameters, and when I click on Shared Parameters under the manage tab in my Project, and they are both added as Sheets Categories..

cdatechguy
2011-02-07, 08:02 PM
Guess I should have opened your titleblock first....

Check out your Creation Date "Type of Parameter"...Length doesn't work well for where text should be... ;)

(This happens to me all the time.... ;) )

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 08:21 PM
Guess I should have opened your titleblock first....

Check out your Creation Date "Type of Parameter"...Length doesn't work well for where text should be... ;)

(This happens to me all the time.... ;) )

It shows as text to me. I'm uploading the file again.

cdatechguy
2011-02-07, 08:30 PM
Weird... See attached...

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 08:32 PM
ok, now I see it as length, changed it to Text, try this upload. Still didn't make any difference concerning it showing on the sheet in a project.

Besides, Scale was always Type Text, It doesn't show up either.

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 09:31 PM
Modified Parameter

richardarchitect
2011-02-07, 10:00 PM
I am disappointed in the underwhelming response to this query. It seems people here are more interested in displaying their superiority than helping a member with a valid question.Now I am left to simply solve the problem myself, Thx all.

cdatechguy
2011-02-07, 11:46 PM
I finally got back to my desk,....

I brought in your titleblock into one of my projects....saved your shared parameter into my export parameters.... loaded the parameter from export into my project and viola!

The date will have to be added per sheet though....if you want it to apply to all sheets...don't apply the shared parameter to sheets, only apply it to Project Information....once you apply it to sheets its a sheet by sheet instance...

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 12:34 AM
I want it to be saved as Sheet, since as a future Revit Manager, I want everyone that creates a new sheet to be responsible for that sheet. (I also plan to create a Sheet creator parameter.) Thats odd, now the scale parameter works, but the creation date still does not.

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 12:40 AM
OK, now Scale seems to work as I want, my problem now is that Creation Date doesn't work, altho it seems to work in your project. Any clue?

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 12:43 AM
aha, ok, i'll try to export creation date, then save it as identity Data

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 01:24 AM
It simply will not allow me to export it

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 01:45 AM
This is simply frustrating, now scale works fine, but try as i might, creation date simply does not show up in my project

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 01:47 AM
and the most frustrating thing is it shows up in his project, but not mine

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 01:52 AM
I give up, for tonight. Hopefully someone will help out tomorrow. In the meantime i am stopped, very discouraging day

cdatechguy
2011-02-08, 03:54 PM
So if you select the titleblock....where it will show the question mark then select the question mark you cannot select it still?

sbrown
2011-02-08, 04:14 PM
Richard,
Start over. I've read thru your post and I think you just need to delete the shared parameters and redo them. I think it sounds like you've got the idea and something just went wrong.

So first open your titleblock family,
Place the Label, then Click the little New Parameter Icon, access your shared parameters list, Make a new parameter(make sure its text). Note I group mine all under a titleblock group. Then Save your titleblock. Open your project next, go to them manage tab, click project parameters, click the Add button, then check the shared parameter box, select your parameter, the select the category (probably sheets in your case, some of mine are project info).

See attached. Note to input them you should just click in the space where the label is and it will appear for your to enter you info.

I hope this helps.

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 06:16 PM
Hello Mr. Brown,

Ok, I have deleted all my shared parameters, and I will now attempt to recreate them. In addition, I have deleted the RAE-BrickStainable Titleblock family. I want to go back to basics and try this again. I have also created a new Project called Title Block Test, which is under the 2 MB upload limit here. Hopefully it doesn't go over that when I load the new title block. I am going to use the default Revit 34x44 Horizontal title block as my base, and concentrate solely on creating 2 custom labels. I will then upload my results.

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 07:07 PM
I am at a loss, it just does not work.I load it into the project, now they show up as text????????????????

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 07:09 PM
This is just extremely frustrating, what seems like a simple thing I have now spent 3 days on with no progress

sbrown
2011-02-08, 07:42 PM
I added a second parameter, loaded it, checked the box for project info, sheet and views, instance and it works fine. Maybe you need to add views to your check box.

cdatechguy
2011-02-08, 07:44 PM
I exported your parameter from the titleblock....deleted the shared parameter out of your titleblock test.rvt file, added the parameter back in and it works just fine. :?

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 08:59 PM
I have tried all your suggestions, none of them work. I'm really trying not to be dense here, as as completion of my studies at Clemson depend on it. My problem is that altho the parameters show up under identity data, they do not show up on my title block.

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 09:13 PM
I am completely at a loss, i cannot move forward on my project without solving this issue. I feel absolutely stupid at this point

cdatechguy
2011-02-08, 09:18 PM
Are you clicking on the title block to change the info are your expecting to see something in the title block when you get everything loaded...like attached?

Because as soon as I opened your project file I can change your title block info...which means your doing it right...:beer:

When you select the titleblock you get a ?...click the ? you can modify the parameter...

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 10:02 PM
OK, I finally resolved creation date, no clue how tho. when i go to my project and click on the title block I get a ? on scale, but I can't change it. I just feel stupid

cdatechguy
2011-02-08, 10:07 PM
Since your trying to create a "fill in the blank" scale....I would rename it to something like TB_Scale, since a system parameter called Scale already exists..

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 10:29 PM
Since your trying to create a "fill in the blank" scale....I would rename it to something like TB_Scale, since a system parameter called Scale already exists..

OK, that worked, now I need to step back and assess the damage

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 10:55 PM
Well it worked fine in Title Bblock Test, but doesn't work at all in my Project

cdatechguy
2011-02-08, 10:56 PM
And your just setting up a titleblock....

I have like 10 or so shared parameters for a door... Our Titleblock has like 10 as well...

Did you add the parameters to the project? Unfortunately the shared parameters don't follow titleblocks like they do other families...

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 10:58 PM
3 days of absolute frustration, just trying to accomplish a basic task that my clients would expect

richardarchitect
2011-02-08, 11:03 PM
So I am a failure, I cannot place the frigging creation Date and Scale on my drawing **** revit, this is just stupidity

cdatechguy
2011-02-08, 11:26 PM
Go home....have a beer....or two....or even give it a day or so and try again ;)

Some days I get so frustrated trying to get something done I have to shelve it and try again later...

peterjegan
2011-02-09, 05:49 AM
Richard

I think you actually do have it figured out. The problem is that the Revit developers treat their own built-in parameters differently from user's (shared) parameters.

In your "Title Block Test" project, open your sheet and SELECT THE TITLEBLOCK. In the properties palette, you can change any built-in parameter, like Sheet Name, Sheet Number, Checked By, Drawn By and this change is also reflected in the view. But if you change a user created parameter, like Creation Date or TB_Scale, this change is NOT reflected in view.

Now DESELECT THE TITLEBLOCK, but stay in the sheet. In the properties palette, you can still change any built-in parameter and the change is reflected in the view. But now if you change a user created parameter, like Creation Date or TB_Scale, this change IS reflected in view.

I believe this inconsistancy is what is causing so much trouble. When you go to test your setup, if you just go to the sheet and make your changes it works great. If you happen to select the titleblock first, your setup "fails," but some things (built-in parameters) still work.

sbrown
2011-02-09, 06:15 PM
I sent you a PM, give me a call and I'll walk you thru it.

richardarchitect
2011-02-09, 09:30 PM
I just want to say that I finally got my custom parameters to work. Thanks to all of you for hanging with me through my depths of despair. I'm going to just step back for a day at this point, because I have a bunch of duplicate parameters that I need to delete, and ingeneral I just need to do some house cleaning, but I think I finally got it by Using TB_Scale and TB_Creation Date as my parameters. Now I need to completely redesign my title block yet again, because I deleted the 1 I liked, sigh. but now I can move forward.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdatechguy
2011-02-09, 09:44 PM
I just want to say that I finally got my custom parameters to work. Thanks to all of you for hanging with me through my depths of despair. I'm going to just step back for a day at this point, because I have a bunch of duplicate parameters that I need to delete, and ingeneral I just need to do some house cleaning, but I think I finally got it by Using TB_Scale and TB_Creation Date as my parameters. Now I need to completely redesign my title block yet again, because I deleted the 1 I liked, sigh. but now I can move forward.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear it! Was the titleblock one of the ones you uploaded?

richardarchitect
2011-02-09, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear it! Was the titleblock one of the ones you uploaded?

Now that is an interesting question. I can only upload Title Block Test, since my actual project is 78 MB in size. like I said, I still need to clean up, But I can upload that. Now you have me thinking is there a way to upload just my title block from my project.

richardarchitect
2011-02-09, 11:13 PM
OK, there is the titleblock I am using. the parameters are all over the place. Now I'll try to upload from my project.

richardarchitect
2011-02-09, 11:31 PM
I zipped it and it's still 44 MB sigh

cdatechguy
2011-02-09, 11:47 PM
I meant was your good titleblock one of the ones you had already posted.....that maybe you didn't have to recreate... :?

richardarchitect
2011-02-10, 02:38 AM
I meant was your good titleblock one of the ones you had already posted.....that maybe you didn't have to recreate... :?

Thx, that was a great suggestion, I was able to reload my old titleblock. Now the trick will be to get it to use the new parameters. With everyone's suggestions I feel confident that I can accomplish that.

richardarchitect
2011-02-10, 04:18 PM
Yayyyyyyyyyyy, finally sucess on all levels, I cleaned up all my errant parameters, and everything works exactly as it should now. I can't thank you guys enough for helping me through this. I'm uploading the final files, maybe they'll help someone else out.

emca4
2011-11-15, 09:05 PM
So we're now in Revit 2012...is there still no way to control the default titleblock?