PDA

View Full Version : Can you draw walls and lock them to walls below in one step

tim.101799
2010-09-14, 12:57 PM
Working on a 190,000 sqft assisted living facility. I have my foundation walls modeled and now I am starting to model my exterior walls. Is there any way I can draw my exterior walls by picking the face of my foundation walls below AND lock the exterior walls to the foundation wall in one step?

Currently I am drawing my exteror walls a couple of feet outside of my foundation walls, then going back and aligning / locking my exterior walls to my foundation walls. Seems like I am doing to much work.

cliff collins
2010-09-14, 01:09 PM
Use the "pick line" tool when drawing the walls--and a trick is to hold the tab key and it will select them all at once. Tab until you see all the foundation walls/lines selected.

See attached image.

Then select all the new walls and Pin them.

( don't have Revit open to test, but I believe you can do this in one step.)

cheers

tim.101799
2010-09-14, 01:13 PM
Use the "pick line" tool when drawing the walls--and a trick is to hold the tab key and it will select them all at once. Tab until you see all the foundation walls/lines selected.

Then select all the new walls and Pin them.

( don't have Revit open to test, but I believe you can do this in one step.)

cheers

That will draw all of my exterior wall quickly and in the correct location. But it will not lock them to my foundation walls. I want the foundation walls and the exterior walls locked to one another so if I move one the other goes with it.

cliff collins
2010-09-14, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to lock them all at once.

A good method for that would be to create the "Walls" first, then automatically place Foundation Walls to them with the Structural Wall/Foundation tool.

This way they "stay put" and all can be pinned at once.

It's sort of a reverse of what you are doing, and a bit counter-intuitive, as you would normally build the foundations first, then add walls on top.

But Revit works a bit differently than actual construction sequencing at times.............

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-14, 01:55 PM
Use a Stacked Wall.

tim.101799
2010-09-14, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to lock them all at once.

A good method for that would be to create the "Walls" first, then automatically place Foundation Walls to them with the Structural Wall/Foundation tool.

This way they "stay put" and all can be pinned at once.

It's sort of a reverse of what you are doing, and a bit counter-intuitive, as you would normally build the foundations first, then add walls on top.

But Revit works a bit differently than actual construction sequencing at times.............

cheers

that would be a real pain in the butt with this building. The exterior shell will be stick built (think very large, 4 story shingle style building) with several different finish materials of varying thinckness. The building has lots of bunp outs and changes in plane. Seeing how the face of stud / face of foundation are my working points it would be very difficult to draw my exterior walls first and have them in the correct location. I find it much easier to draw the foundations walls first (in the correct location) and then draw the exteror wall using "core face: exterior" as my wall reference. That way I know my exterior wall is in the alignment with my foundation wall.

cliff collins
2010-09-14, 03:14 PM
Agreed.

But you asked how to automatically have the walls and foundations line up/lock
in the least steps in Revit, thus my suggestion. I can sympathize--having done several jobs
very similar to your example. There is no one "right way"--each has positive/negative aspects.

Alfredo's suggestion of locking/picking grids is a good one. Or same thing with Referemce Planes. In the end, it's up to the team to decide. Will there be a Strcutural Model from the engineer? If so, this may bring up a different dicussion as the Arch. model will not include foundations/framing, just Arch. walls..........

cheers