PDA

View Full Version : linking, version and build

MikeJarosz
2010-09-14, 02:58 PM
In the Revit 2011 manual I have, in order for sharing and linking to work properly, it claims that everyone must have the same version and build. (Krygiel/Read/Vandezande p. 198)

Well, what if the whole team doesn't have the same build? The manual doesn't go into that. What can I expect not to work? What if we have a mix of 32 & 64 bit machines? In my previous life as a Revit manager, I didn't have to worry about this issue.

How do I manage projects when we have joint ventures with many different firms around the country? One day we work with SOM, next day it's Gensler. Throw in the engineers, and I probably have a minestrone of builds!

Seriously, am I up the (Revit) creek here?

cliff collins
2010-09-14, 03:10 PM
In the Revit 2011 manual I have, in order for sharing and linking to work properly, it claims that everyone must have the same version and build. (Krygiel/Read/Vandezande p. 198)

Well, what if the whole team doesn't have the same build? The manual doesn't go into that. What can I expect not to work? What if we have a mix of 32 & 64 bit machines? In my previous life as a Revit manager, I didn't have to worry about this issue.

How do I manage projects when we have joint ventures with many different firms around the country? One day we work with SOM, next day it's Gensler. Throw in the engineers, and I probably have a minestrone of builds!

Seriously, am I up the (Revit) creek here?

Best practice is to have all teams on the same build. If not, files can become corrupt.
Good dialogue between all offices regarding current build is very important. A good BIM Kickoff meeting with all team members before work begins is critical. It's
not a real big deal to get everyone on the same build--the new builds are "Service packs"
which install quickly and can be deployed via network, and do not usually require a complete install on all workstations.

Mixing 32 bit and 64 bit machines can work, but can also create major problems on very large projects, where file sizes are 200MB or larger. The 64 bit machines, which can have much more RAM, can Save/Open the files--but a 32 bit machine with 4GB RAM may not be able to Open/Save. Esp. when there are several large linked models--RAM is critical.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-14, 07:43 PM
The same Version and builds is critical, with the exception of the (x64) at the end. Mixing 32 bit and 64 is fine- as mentioned: providing your weakest machines are able to open the file for what they need, and to get it done.

As Cliff pointed out, having the versions and the builds clearly written out in your Execution Strategy docs, and discussed at the first meeting, is critical. We even have a spot in our document where we discuss POTENTIAL version upgrades as they become available.

If management is throwing you in to projects after its already too late, get out in front of them, or youre going to have problems.

PARTICULARLY with the last few (and anticipated next few), where actual functionality and tools have been added during the Service Packs. Id hate to be running Cross-build, where some tools are missing for some but not others.

MikeJarosz
2010-09-14, 08:27 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I was more worried about the 32 vs 64 issue, but it makes sense that as long as the builds are at the same level, the bit version doesn't matter.

The hardware we have is pretty good. We don't have any really out of date machines, so I'm not too worried about the weakest link holding everyone up. But the idea of versions different enough to have incompatible tools is really frightening. I read elsewhere on AUGI today that Autodesk is big on announcing new features, but not so quick to tell you what they've taken away.

I remember stories about software manufacturers releasing frequent rebuilds without warning and causing headaches for everyone. It was a PC Mag article and they called the practice "slipstreaming".

I don't imagine a prominent company like Autodesk would resort to that, would they?

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-14, 09:16 PM
Revit models surpass the threshold for 32 bit performance pretty easily, especially with the newer versions. So while the file wont get corrupt due to the 32 bit and 64 bit builds together, id be pretty darn sure your 32 bit machines are up to the task for the DURATION of the project.

Regarding features: I think it has less to do with slipstreaming, and more to do with "things change." Why would you even want to chance it, over something as easy to fix as making sure everyones on the same build? If one build see's "rooms" (lowercase r) and one build sees "Rooms" (capital), whats the value added in chancing whatever that will do to your project?

Also, FWIW, not too long ago, different builds meant different file versions, not backwards compatible. Send three emails, check everyones builds, and move on.