PDA

View Full Version : Problem with "Poche" in section

kappy
2010-09-15, 12:07 PM
Please view the attached picture.

The problem we have here is that the Toposurfaces "Poche" is interfering with our cellar. (Watch where I've marked with red, I would like to be able to mark out territories on the section that isn't marked with the "Poche".

One could do a Hide Region annotation, but that means that you won't see what's inside the cellar, which would be the point.

sbrown
2010-09-15, 12:19 PM
There is no way I know of to show below grade structures.

cliff collins
2010-09-15, 01:34 PM
Could you place a Pad at that location to "cut out " the earth?

cheers

wmullett
2010-09-15, 01:48 PM
Turn off your poche and add filled regions in these views.

You might also try cutting your main topo with a pad and linking in another site model that has your filled area over this structure ....Would have to turn off some things maybe in that link?

j_starko
2010-09-15, 02:40 PM
I like Cliff's suggestion better.

then you don't have to do any filled regions/hide in view stuff in future sections you cut.

the filled region idea is tooo reminiscent of autorad.

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-15, 04:18 PM
Here is an example of solution for showing underground structures:

1. Create your levels, such as "Level 1" , "Cellar top", "Cellar bottom".
2. On the site plan, create your site as usual.
3. On "Cellar bottom" create your slab, your walls, your components, as needed.
4. Copy the slab from "Cellar bottom" to "Cellar top".
5. From the site plan, create a building pad. Set the thickness of the pad exactly as the thickness of the slab. Set the level of the pad to be "Cellar top", with a positive offset, equal to the thickness of the slab, so that the pad overlaps exactly with the slab.
6. From the site plan, Massing and Site > Split surface > Select the site, sketch the split as per the floor plan of your cellar.
7. From a section view, type VG, and set Topography to transparent.

See illustration.

cliff collins
2010-09-15, 04:22 PM
Another perfect explanation, Alfredo.

cheers!

Ning Zhou
2010-09-15, 06:15 PM
7. From a section view, type VG, and set Topography to transparent.

excellent solution, even though i don't quite get it - why topo transparency only afffect cellar?

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-16, 11:50 AM
excellent solution, even though i don't quite get it - why topo transparency only afffect cellar?

Joe,

I understand the logic of my steps, from # 1 until # 6. However, I am, like you, trying to understand the logic behind my step # 7. It was a discovery for me, too. :)

I did this cutaway view to try to understand (see illustration). Even in this 3D view, if the topography is set to transparent, the portion of topography that is in front of the cellar disappears. I think it's the effect of the split surface above the cellar, and the pad, but I agree, it's kind of hard to understand why when the topography has the standard settings, all the cellar is covered.

The bottom line is that the solution works, and that it will display consistently in any section taken through the underground volume, even if the slabs and pad are moved up or down, given that the same setting about the transparency of the topography is kept on.

j_starko
2010-09-17, 05:11 AM
I misunderstood the question at the start, and after seeing the solution, it's clear as mud . I missed the part about having earth show above the cellar.

That's pretty slick Alfredo!

Ning Zhou
2010-09-17, 02:41 PM
thanks Alfredo for your explanation, right, looks like split surface + pad is the reason behind it, well, maybe Autodesk can explain the logic behind it.