PDA

View Full Version : Design Options

FrenchQuarters
2010-09-15, 06:23 PM
Can multiple users work in the same Design Option simultaneously?

I have a project set up for work sharing. 3 people are currently working on this project. There are 3 Design Option Sets in the project, with each set having a few options. when two people are trying to work in the same design option, Revit doesn't allow it, untill the one person working in it does a SWC. After that, again, only one person is able to work untill that person does a SWC. This is a big project, and several people need to be working in the same design option simultaneously. Is that even possible? Does Revit allow that?

cliff collins
2010-09-15, 06:26 PM
See if this helps:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS46b90c3cb2c58cad1174b07fc7f976dae-7ff0.htm

cheers

FrenchQuarters
2010-09-15, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Cliff, but that documentation doesnt address my question - Does
Revit allow multiple users to work in the same Design Option at the same time.

Seems like a simple question, but I am having difficulty finding information about this. I am sure others have run into this issue as well.
Anybody?

cliff collins
2010-09-15, 06:44 PM
I believe it is possible for mutilple users to edit elements within the same Design Option,
as long as those elements themselves are editable in the Worksets dialog box.

Try having your 3 users tab and select elements within the DO, right click and make element editable and they should be able to manipulate it.

The D.O.s themselves now have their own Workset under Project Standards as described in RAC 2011 Help.

cheers

FrenchQuarters
2010-09-15, 06:50 PM
We are at the begining of the project were we are still adding walls and such to the options. Revit won't let a user add wall in the DO, if other user is already working in that DO. As soon as you click with a wall tool, it give a warning saying the other person needs to SWC.

cliff collins
2010-09-15, 06:58 PM
Yes-- I think as described, each D.O. has its own Project Standards Workset designation.
So theoretically, User 1 could "Own" that workset, and User 2 could be a "borrower"
and thus work on the D.O. simultaneously?

The walls that are being placed could also be on their own Workset? So it does get a bit tricky.

It's also worth mentioning that a hosted family such as a door would need a host wall in both the Main Model AND the D.O.

We'll have to experiment with this and see how/if several users can work on a D.O. together.

cheers.......

FrenchQuarters
2010-09-15, 07:24 PM
Cliff,
I think the issue is arising becuase each DO doesn't have it's own workset. Revit has clubbed them together into a workset called "Desing Options" under the Project Standard group. If each DO had its own workset, I don't think this issue would have arised ( I could be wrong about this). Is there a way, maybe, to seperate out the DO's into different worksets?
Thanks for all your responses, BTW. I really do apprecaite it.