PDA

View Full Version : Glazing area calc

FrenchQuarters
2010-09-17, 04:23 PM
Curtain wall is being used extensively on a design, and I need to get the total area of glazing on the exterior of this building. I set up a curtain panel schedule to get areas and totals. This schedule works fine except it doesn't count the glazing in curtain wall doors. Although technically a door inserted into a curtain wall is a curtain panel, that family is catagorized as a door family so it can show up in the door schedule. I don't want to compromize the ability to include that door in the door schedule.

So how can I get an accurate data for total glazing area that includes the exterior curtain wall doors as well?

aggockel50321
2010-09-17, 06:11 PM
One method:

Set up a design option with two options, and place your exterior walls with doors in each option.

Open option 2 (secondary) and substitute the doors for glazed panels.
Then do your glazing schedule for option 2 and (exterior) door schedule in option 1.

Another:

Create a new (later) phase. Demolish the doors and insert glazed panels, and do a schedule for each phase.

josh.made4worship
2010-09-20, 08:08 PM
Couldn't you do a material takeoff for the glass?...just make sure all the glass you want to get the area for is of the same material type...I haven't tried my idea for this application, but seems it should work

patricks
2010-09-20, 08:20 PM
Another:

Create a new (later) phase. Demolish the doors and insert glazed panels, and do a schedule for each phase.

Good luck demolishing curtain wall door panels. It's a long and painful process, as I have come to discover on my last project.

I would probably do a previous or later "working" or "annotation" phase and just place a few curtain panels that have a glazed area equal to your curtain wall doors. Then set your schedule so it covers Previous + New phases.

*edit* Or do the material schedule if that works.

josh.made4worship
2010-09-20, 08:31 PM
I got the Material Takeoff Schedule to work...only hiccup I'm having is that it's scheduling the glass material in my door family double what it should be (like it's scheduling both sides)...if you can figure that out, then the material takeoff seems like a much better way to go to me...

Ning Zhou
2010-09-20, 09:24 PM
I got the Material Takeoff Schedule to work...only hiccup I'm having is that it's scheduling the glass material in my door family double what it should be (like it's scheduling both sides)...if you can figure that out, then the material takeoff seems like a much better way to go to me...

good idea to use material takeoff instead of normal schedule, except Revit material takeoff is inconsistent across different elements, looks like it treat curtain panel as 1 sided (or 3 sided) but treat door as 2 sided (or 6 sided), correct me if i'm wrong, if not, can anyone explain the logic behind it?

cliff collins
2010-09-20, 09:33 PM
Glazing in a storefront or curtainwall is a bit tricky to schedule and calculate the area for.

Does Revit need to calculate only Length x Width for an individual curtain panel?

Is the glazing single pane, or multiple panes? Or, even if multi-panes,
is it a sealed assembly ( like 1" insulated glass sandwich, with 1/4" glass, 1/2" airspace, and 1/4" glass ) where the unit price is determined by only L x W ?

Or does the subcontractor or glass supplier need qty. for both panes, and their thicknesses?

So depending on the Information which is required, the way the Model is built may need
to be carefully considered.

cheers

josh.made4worship
2010-09-20, 10:02 PM
to add to this, sometimes you just need to know the SF of glass for energy calculations or city requirements. That would literally just be exterior SF of glass, no matter how many panes, etc. However, as cliff mentions, when you get into more detailed cost analysis, it is important to understand that they way the model is built will directly impact what type of information can be gathered from it.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-20, 10:37 PM
Theres also no substitution for a carefully laid out Model and Content strategy, for calculating this type of thing.

1. For complex sandwich assemblies: Custom Curtain Panel families made NOT from the System Family, often times stink... Since Custom panels have a heart attack the moment theyre anything but rectangular. It makes building the custom assemblies less than accurate, without some other goofy trickery such as using a wall (sandwich) or using a Curtain Panel Family (non-system... which stink).

2. For Curtain Wall Doors: the Panel Area is RARELY the glazing area, since they (most of the time) have Stiles around all four sides.

The quick advice, is just make a DOOR schedule in addition to your Curtain panel schedule, and Filter that door schedule to include only those doors. That will get you the approximate number you seem to be after, although that number is suspect, depending on what you need it for.

Curtain PANELS arent intelligently aware of what types of mullions bind them, and its a MINOR descrepancy, but in the interests of disclosure: Depending on your Mullion Profiles, remember that the Curtain Panel Material and Curtain Panel Area will both also report the "area" eaten up in the sandwich of the mullion. Thats a positive if youre looking for actual material, but a negative if youre looking for surface area for incident sun.

Knowing what your startegy is going to be, and hardcoding the necessary calculated values for system families, and parameters and formulas for Curtain Panels, Windows, and Doors, is my vote. But you have to generally know in advance of building your content.