PDA

View Full Version : Arrayable Family

kmarquis
2010-09-19, 01:43 PM
I made an arrayable family so I could make multiple instances on one family in the project that appear in a row. I can just go to the instance properties in the family and just bump up the number when I want another instance. It's awesome..except I can't have only one instance in the project of this arrayable family. I have to have at least two.

Anyone know a way to make an arrayable family and still have it only have one intstance in the project?

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-19, 02:20 PM
I made an arrayable family so I could make multiple instances on one family in the project that appear in a row. I can just go to the instance properties in the family and just bump up the number when I want another instance. It's awesome..except I can't have only one instance in the project of this arrayable family. I have to have at least two.

Anyone know a way to make an arrayable family and still have it only have one intstance in the project?

You have a have a single instance thats not part of the array. And a formula controlling which one is visible.
http://malleristicrevitation.blogspot.com/2007/04/arrays-less-than-2.html

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-19, 06:08 PM
...Anyone know a way to make an arrayable family and still have it only have one intstance in the project?

If you make your array with a nested family (set to "Shared" in its own file) and then you load the array family into a project, there will be two options available: 1) create an instance of the array family, or 2) create an instance of the individual component.

patricks
2010-09-20, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean you can't place a single instance of the family containing the array (must have 2 instances placed), or you can't set the array number to less than 2? If the former, not sure why that would happen. I place single instances of families containing nested arrays all the time. If the latter, then yeah I would just place another instance of the nested family in the host family with a visibility parameter to control it if the array number needs to be less than 2.

kmarquis
2010-09-20, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean you can't place a single instance of the family containing the array (must have 2 instances placed), or you can't set the array number to less than 2?.

The family that I made into an array, meaning in the family file there has been an object nested into it that I attached an array parameter to. When I place the family in the project and try to change the Array number from 2 to 1, it says, Can't make instance of family and the whole family disappears.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-20, 02:53 PM
Yup. Thats exactly whats explained in the link i posted above.

IN THE FAMILY, youll have the array, then youll have a single instance. They will have visibility parameters, and a seperate count parameter. So when you tell it "1", the array value will be 2, but the array will disappear. And the single instance becomes visibile.

It schedules them correctly, displays them correctly. Just takes a few mintues to set up.

EDIT: Also note that in the example i gave, i used a third family. Theres no need for it, its just how i did it at the time. You can place the single instance of family1 in family 2, and call it a day.

All of our Lav Countertops are built this way.