PDA

View Full Version : Stair to wall connection.

chukarov
2010-09-20, 03:22 AM
I just wonder what would you do in this case?
Join geometry doesn't work for me.

Craig_L
2010-09-20, 04:23 AM

Are they different materials? Can't say I've ever had to try it out, but try making sure they are not the same material, as like will join like fairly seamlessly. If you distinguish them as different materials you may see a separating line. Worth a shot.

Jun Austria
2010-09-20, 05:28 AM

If thats a timber stair. Then your stringer location is wrong. Stringer should be fixed on the side of the wall. But if you are using a Concrete stair, I just aligned the boundary to the face of the wall.

arqt49
2010-09-20, 11:18 AM
Join geometry doesn't work with stairs.
You will have to model them as a in-place family.
But you can correct the geometry: the threads in the picture seem embedded in the wall. Like the stringer.

chukarov
2010-09-20, 03:28 PM
Yes, you right the stringer on left is missing because customer wants clean wall on the sides,and just short stringer sticking from the wall on right.
Looks like I am able to get more or less decent look in shaded with edges format but not in hidden lines though.

greg.mcdowell
2010-09-20, 05:16 PM
You could also use Model Lines to show the join between the stairs and the wall. Not very BIM-like but maybe acceptable depending on your circumstances.

patricks
2010-09-20, 06:23 PM
Yes, you right the stringer on left is missing because customer wants clean wall on the sides,and just short stringer sticking from the wall on right.
Looks like I am able to get more or less decent look in shaded with edges format but not in hidden lines though.

Why not just align the boundary line of the stair sketch with the face of the wall? It wouldn't be truly 100% correct but anything else could be taken care of with details. The "look" in 3D and elevations will be correct.

chukarov
2010-09-20, 08:06 PM
Why not just align the boundary line of the stair sketch with the face of the wall? It wouldn't be truly 100% correct but anything else could be taken care of with details. The "look" in 3D and elevations will be correct.

Thanks patricks. My fault. I thought that I had left side of the stair aligned. But on the right looks like the easiest way to go would detail lines. Appreciated your help guys.

patricks
2010-09-20, 08:13 PM
Thanks patricks. My fault. I thought that I had left side of the stair aligned. But on the right looks like the easiest way to go would detail lines. Appreciated your help guys.

Ah that, I would do a model line there. View the end of the wall in section or elevation, set the end of the wall surface as the work plane, and place a model line in that location.