PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Generic Model Parameters

jspartz
2010-09-20, 10:18 PM
I'm trying to add up widths and lengths from generic models. If I do a Multi-category schedule and filter it to generic models there is a width parameter, but it doesn't fill in. If I do a material takeoff for generic models I get only area and volume. If I export to Excel using ODBC, I don't see any widths or lengths. Can I gather that information somehow? There are hundreds of one family with instanced widths and lengths and I would like to total them.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-20, 10:29 PM
Is it a Shared Parameter (It needs to be)? And are you sure its not scheduling, but that the schedule is set to not itemize every instance?

jspartz
2010-09-21, 01:42 PM
Yes, I looked at an itemized and not itemized list with calculate totals checked. They are not shared parameters though, and I tried changing them and reloading, but when reloading the instance parameters all get reset, and I'm not choosing the overwrite parameter values, so I am guessing there is no other way? Guess I would need to go to a different program in this case.

josh.made4worship
2010-09-21, 01:54 PM
When changing the parameter in the family from project to shared, I believe Revit has to reset the parameter values in the project (if they were different than what's in your family). What I would do is set your family names and values the same as what you had in your project, and upon reload, choose the second option. Hopefully, that should overwrite all the families in your project, but "keep" the values you inserted, since you are really overwriting them with the values you defined in the family after changing the parameter to be shared.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: To clarify, Project and shared parameters are different so Revit can't maintain the values in the project when you switch them out. This is why the easiest way would probably be to set the values you want in your family that you currently have in your project, and choose the 2nd option in your project to overwrite those values.

Once you do this, you shouldn't have a problem getting Revit to total widths, you just need to make sure you group by something in your sorting/grouping tab or your schedule, and make sure under formatting, your width parameter is set to calculate totals. Depending on what you are trying to do, you may need to uncheck "itemize every instance" on the Sorting/Grouping tab at the bottom.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-21, 02:18 PM
Yes, I looked at an itemized and not itemized list with calculate totals checked. They are not shared parameters though, and I tried changing them and reloading, but when reloading the instance parameters all get reset, and I'm not choosing the overwrite parameter values, so I am guessing there is no other way? Guess I would need to go to a different program in this case.

No, the program does it fine, if you set it up correctly. But they need to be shared parameters, and yes... It will reset them when you modify it.

As a workaround, in your family make a Shared parameter in ADDITION to the other one, then set the formula = the non shared parameter.

jspartz
2010-09-21, 04:30 PM
Success - thanks Aaron. Like you suggested, instead of changing the original parameter, I made the shared parameter along side it equal to the original and loaded that without any values changing and got it all scheduled. Thanks!

When you're on the receiving end of models, you can't make it correct from the start, but I will definitely be adding a few things in the architects modeling guidelines for when we do get on a project early enough to have a say.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-21, 05:02 PM
Believe me, i understand. Were both A and C, and when were C and not A, oftentimes its too far gone to do much about it. Our BIM Execution Implementation Plan is 71 pages, meant to work in everyones favor so there isnt costly rework in trying to deconstruct someone elses decision making, but in the end none of that matters if the project gets started before youre involved.

I learned the Parameter > SP thing the same way... I had an instance parameters location marker in a model, when i was a newb, and i made them all Project Parameters. Then i converted them to shared, and they all reset. Except no one told me about the formula trick, so i manually re-placed everyone of them, LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ynT2VymYDdY/RkPgRyRUPBI/AAAAAAAAACE/fWPQUJzSFGU/s1600/ORIGIN%2BWITH%2BLINES.JPG