PDA

View Full Version : Copy with basepoint between projects?

jameswest77
2010-09-21, 02:04 PM
Our office has an old strategy that we used to use with Autocad: Assign multiple people to each work on copies of the same file then, when they're done, copy what they worked on with a reference point of 0,0 into the original file.

How can I do this in Revit? I just spent half a day building a stone block facade in a copy of the original file because someone else was working in the original file with the intent of Copying and Pasting in the original coordinates.

It would be great to know how to copy one element, or group, with a basepoint and then how to paste it into another file with the same basepoint.

Thanks,
James
Willamette Architecture 360

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 02:13 PM
You can create a Group of objects in one project, and then Link them "out"
which creates a new separate Revit project.

Then in your other Revit project, use Link "in" the Revit project you made from your Group.
It can be linked and placed by Shared Coordinates/Project Location--which is Revit's version of 0,0,0 origin like in AutoCad. The Linked file can then be "bound"
into the main Revit project.

The Cad workflow you are using based on previuos experience is not exactly ideal
for working on collaborative projects in Revit. Revit "files" are not small individual pieces
like in Cad. They are large, wholistic assemblies of an entire building model, sheets, views, schedules, details, renderings, etc.

Search this Forum on Worksets, Linked Models, etc. This is the best practice and workflow in Revit with multiple users working on a single project.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-21, 02:14 PM
You guys need to learn to use Worksets. It completely eliminates the need to do what you are doing. Every person gets in the same file, at the same time, and works in different areas, and hits save. No copying and pasting necessary.

Thats going to get ugly real fast when people start modifying wall types and family types. Youre going to have duplicates everywhere.

jameswest77
2010-09-21, 02:17 PM
Thanks, folks. Ever knowledgeable. :)

I expect to be moving into Worksets soon enough- I'm just caught with a deadline and had to revert back to what I knew.

I'll tackle Worksets soon, though. Thanks again!

jameswest77
2010-09-21, 02:53 PM
You can create a Group of objects in one project, and then Link them "out"
which creates a new separate Revit project.

I'm searching for how to do this simple operation and I don't see any directions. Can you tell me how to do this in 2011?

Thanks.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-21, 02:54 PM
Dude, if youre going to try learning how to make a group > convert to link > Link in to the other project > Bind (or leave it linked, and learn to learn how to link...) you can learn worksets faster.

Click the Worksets button. Save the file. Search for "How to Synchronize" and get back to work, lol...

jameswest77
2010-09-21, 02:56 PM
Oh, searched in Revit help and found it. This really isn't what I wanted, I don't think. I want the elements I made in one project copied into another project so that they are live and editable. Is that impossible??

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 02:59 PM
see attached.

cheers

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 03:03 PM
I agree with Aaron,

Using Group/Link/Bind is NOT the best practice for collobaoration in Revit.

Worksets and Linked models are the better methods.

But I'm just trying to help answer the OP's questions and help with his current (although not ideal ) workflow. It CAN be done this way--but should be limited to a few special occasions or circumstances and not the mainstream method.

cheers

jameswest77
2010-09-21, 03:05 PM
see attached.

cheers

awesome! thanks, that was easy. Now, is there a way to explode that imported group so that the elements are editable?

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 03:08 PM
Yep--highlight it and select Ungroup.

cheers

jameswest77
2010-09-21, 03:29 PM
Yep--highlight it and select Ungroup.

cheers

OH, I neglected to bind it so that option wasn't available. Thanks!!

I hope to get into Worksets before the next project so we don't run into this clusterf*ck again. ;)

harrisbrett
2010-09-21, 04:52 PM
You really need to ditch the linking thing and focus on worksets like Aaron said.