PDA

View Full Version : Swept Blend Challenge

narlee
2010-09-21, 05:39 PM
I have a support request in on this, but:

The attached model is a cap on a wall. The wall is two objects, one of which is modelled from three arc segments. Each has a void cut from the side to give the top a curve in the vertical. I was able to drop a swept blend wallcap on the one wall object, using 3d picked path. But not on the other wall object. I have tried making the other wall object modelled from just one of the arcs. I tried copying the "successful" wall and adding a cap. Failure on both counts. No idea what the problem is...

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 07:29 PM
Here's a quick attempt-----I used an in-place Mass instead a a Generic Model.
Used Ref. points, spline thru 3D points, made profiles, created form, set material
to your wall cap material.

cheers

josh.made4worship
2010-09-21, 08:29 PM
check out this post by the Revit Clinic...it may help you.

Revit Clinic - Sweeps and Swept Blends and Profiles along a Curved Rising Path (http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/04/sweeps-and-swept-blends-and-profiles-along-a-curved-rising-path.html)

josh.made4worship
2010-09-21, 08:43 PM
I see your problem a little better now...it literally won't let me create a swept blend element on the sectioned wall....I'll have to ponder on this...

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 08:50 PM
That's why I used an in-place Mass with ref. points, 3D spline btwn. points, etc.

cheers

narlee
2010-09-21, 09:06 PM
Hi Cliff. I don't use masses. I'll have to check that out. Did it actually work for you (you didn't send it)? Thanks.

narlee
2010-09-21, 09:07 PM
Hi Josh. I've seen that. Thanks

josh.made4worship
2010-09-21, 09:28 PM
Cliff's solution is what you need...I just tested it and it works great. I was confused when I opened the file he posted though, because Mass was turned off, so I had to turn it on to see what he had created.

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 09:33 PM
Narlee,

The file is attached to my 1st reply--yes you need to turn Mass on under Model Categories in each view, as it is always off by default.

The Conceptual Massing Tools are really powerful and can do things the "normal" modeling tools can't.

cheers

narlee
2010-09-21, 10:21 PM
Thanks Cliff. I had "Mass" object turned off in Visibility.

I guess I'm going to have to spend time learning about Masses. I've been avoiding it.

In the meantime, I think I've figured something out on this (will post when totally "got it" even if it's just a workaround). But, it does seem that there are still kinks to work out on Swept Blends.

Thanks again, Josh & Cliff, for your interest and help. Will post my results.

Geof

cliff collins
2010-09-22, 12:54 PM
The nice thing about doing this with a mass is there are no voids required.

You just place reference points, draw a 3d spline thru them, draw the profiles at each end,
select the spline and points and create the form.

cheers