PDA

View Full Version : Slanted Column Issue

kerry.mason
2010-09-21, 07:04 PM
Hi,
Please see attached for a quick step by step of what I am attempting to do versus how the Revit model is actually changing. Help!
Thank you,
Kerry

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 07:34 PM
I think in your 2nd click, you should be in the Level 6 Plan--or at that work plane.
I think the 3D snapping is defaulting to the other Level?

Make sure the correct work plane is set when snapping the points each time very carefully.

just a thought......

kerry.mason
2010-09-21, 07:55 PM
Hi Cliff,
That is probably the main thing I'm doing wrong - not working in a work plane, whatever that means! I thought if I started in Level 6, and had the 1st click/2nd clicks specified, the column should begin/end at the right levels. You're right though, I see that the 3D snapping is messing it up, but I wish there was a way to 3D snap in just the x/y coordinates as long as you are specifying the z coordinate by specifiying the 1st & 2nd click levels. I do need to snap to the end of a beam, but I just need the x/y coordinates of it, not the z coordinate level. Does that make sense that I should be able to do that?
It sounds like I need to read up on work planes before doing anything else...
Thanks again for your help, Cliff!
~Kerry

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 08:10 PM
Work Planes are a very fundamental, but one of the most overlooked and misunderstood parts of Revit.

Try to get a good handle on Work Planes before modeling anything.
Levels are automatically treated as Work Planes and can be set easily by selecting them from a list.

It gets trickier when you have odd geometry and different intersecting planes.
In these cases, create Reference Planes, and name them so you can then select them
from the list when prompted--this allows you to sketch on the correct work plane and allows you to model much more effectively.

cheers