PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make a material keep its orientation in 3D?

Design Apparatus
2010-09-21, 07:41 PM
I am trying to create a roof with a standing seam metal panel look. The pattern associated with the material looks correct in a set view but if I orbit around in 3D, the pattern changes to follow my orientation. Is there a way to "fix" the pattern to stay in a particular orientation, regardless of where I am viewing it?
Thanks.

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 07:47 PM
Take a look under render appearance editing--see attached.

There are ways to control position, tiling, scale, etc. of the image map associated
with the material ( this is only for the rendered view ).

For hidden or shaded views, you can tab and select a line in the surface pattern fill pattern and rotate it in a view perpendicular to the face it's on.

Hope that helps.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-21, 08:20 PM
Youve got a Drafting Pattern Specified. Use a Model Pattern.

cliff collins
2010-09-21, 08:24 PM
Yes--

Model patterns stay attached to the surfaces in all views--drafting patterns are 2D view-specific.

OP did not say whether it was a hiden line/shaded view and/or render appearance that was
not staying oriented properly in 3D.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-21, 09:31 PM
True, but hes Orbiting in 3D. We cant do that with Rendered images, unless were in Max. ;)

If he was in Realistic and had Drafting patterns assigned, i suspect hed be saying they were sideways, since that happens to mine now and again (or used to).

Design Apparatus
2010-09-22, 06:15 PM
Been using Revit for about 6 months...learning curve is steep but help from people like you really make it happen for me:)
The model views and appearance of materials in both the shaded and rendered views has been a battle for me, but I'm getting there.
Thanks again.