PDA

View Full Version : Finding out where linked dwgs are?

jmc73
2010-09-23, 05:27 PM
Hi there,
Is there a way to find out where a linked dwg file is in the model? I've got a dozen or so that are loaded, and I think were used for details but instead of unloaded from the model, they were hidden in the view. Apart from going thru each detail view to find them, is there something I can do?

Thanks
John

cliff collins
2010-09-23, 07:42 PM
Perhaps you could save the project as another name, open it up, delete all Revit content
and "expose" only the cadd files?

Or--set up View Templates which have only Imported Categories turned on
and apply the View Templates to all views?

Or find one instance of a cadd file and "select all instances in project"
to find them?

It depends on how many cadd files are linked into the Revit project, I suppose.

Just brainstorming outloud..................

cheers

jmc73
2010-09-23, 10:02 PM
Perhaps you could save the project as another name, open it up, delete all Revit content
and "expose" only the cadd files?

Or--set up View Templates which have only Imported Categories turned on
and apply the View Templates to all views?

Or find one instance of a cadd file and "select all instances in project"
to find them?

It depends on how many cadd files are linked into the Revit project, I suppose.

Just brainstorming outloud..................

cheers
Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if any of those will work since the potential culprits are most likely hidden in a view or even on the plan workplane of an elevation view (as in inserted in all views). I was hoping to right click the link in the manage links dialog box and click "find instance" or something simple like that. Guess that's too much to ask for? lol

luigi
2010-09-23, 10:54 PM
Unless it was imported to the "current view only" (view specific), all you need to do is go to a 3D view....turn all "imported categories" on, all "worksets" on, turn off all "model categories", make sure the crop is turned off...and you should be able to see it.

Chances are though, that the culprits are linked in a specific view....

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if any of those will work since the potential culprits are most likely hidden in a view or even on the plan workplane of an elevation view (as in inserted in all views). I was hoping to right click the link in the manage links dialog box and click "find instance" or something simple like that. Guess that's too much to ask for? lol

luigi
2010-09-23, 11:14 PM
ok...ready? I had to think outside of the box ;) ...in lieu of exporting the model to a database and searching for the element id...this is what I suggst if the dwg was imported in a specific view:

What you need to know:
the path of the linked in dwg.

What to do:
1 Link in 1 of the dwgs,
2 Right mouse click the link and select all instances in "entire project"
3 go to Manage/IDs of Selection
4 Write down the ID numbers then hit cancel
5 go to Manage/Select by ID
6 Repeat step 5 until done
enter one ID number and click on Show

Done!

glynnis.patterson
2010-09-24, 04:16 PM
You can download a free trial of Ideate Explorer which can easily find all the Link DWGs, even those hidden.

www.ideateexplorer.com

On the Demo page of this website there's video that shows how the DWGs are found.

Hope this helps.