PDA

View Full Version : File size

Arkman
2010-09-24, 06:39 PM
I'm working on a small office building...Its really small, but the file size is huge. Right now our file size is bigger that our 7 story super complex office building and we aren't even into CD's yet. I can't figure out why its so large.

I've purged out all of the unused families but that decreased it from 109mb to 107mb. Not a big difference at all.

Is there any way to see what the heck is causing such a big file?

cliff collins
2010-09-24, 07:00 PM
1. Are there any imported Cad files? This often bloats file size. Get rid of all un needed cad files.

2. In windows, look at the file size of the families which are loaded into the project and identify any abnormally large ones. Open them in Revit, Purge them, and reload into the project. We had a king size bed family inside a Group in a typical guestroom that was 12MB! Turns out it had 4 pillows nested into it, which were cad imports with thousands of polygons and that family was bloating the Revit file size. We cleaned it up, reloaded the family and the Revit file size went down substantially.

3. When Synching to Central, make sure that only a single, simple view is open, and that no 3D views, esp. with shadows or realistic views are turned on. Make a simple "Closing Window" view and make all users have only that view open when Synch. to Central.

4. See if any warnings are identified and try to resolve all of them. Of course Purge
the project and perhaps Audit it when opening the Central file.

cheers

Alex Page
2010-09-26, 03:24 AM
Also , dont forget to try "Compress" when saving - try a save-as and its under "options"