PDA

View Full Version : Spammed by AUGI

Scott Hopkins
2003-10-03, 07:03 PM
I just opened my email account to find that I had about 25 emails from AUGI. Apparently the AUGI message forum was mirroring everything to my email box. Not a very auspicious start to the new AGUI site….

Scott D Davis
2003-10-03, 07:52 PM
Check your profile on Augi. Its not spam, you have e-mail notification turned on.

Scott Hopkins
2003-10-03, 08:43 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the tip. I checked and it was turned on. It appears that e-mail notification is supposed to deliver only private messages. I ended up getting an individual email for every public posting thus far. This seems a little strange.

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-03, 09:18 PM
It is possible both here and there to have message emailed to you for every response to a post you make or new post to a thread you start etc. You need to make sure your profile is adjusted accordingly and also make sure you do not have the check boxes in the AUGI post's checked that indicate emailing you upon a response. There is also a subscribe feature that will generate email. So take care with that or you could be buried.

Scott Hopkins
2003-10-03, 09:52 PM
Steve,

Thanks for your help. I have turned everything off and the emails have appeared to have stopped. Maybe I am missing something, but why would I get email from a post that I had never posted anything to or responded to? Is there actually a setting in the AUGI forums that will forward every single post to someone's email?

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-03, 10:01 PM
Speaking about AUGI's forums here...

I think that could happen if you "subscribe" to a thread. You can just read a thread and click on the subscribe button and this will generate email when a new post is made. Intended to keep you up on an interesting thread even if you haven't participated yourself necessarily.

Scott Hopkins
2003-10-03, 10:07 PM
Whoops! I think I may have hit the subscribe button a few times - not really knowing what it did. That must explain it. :oops: Thanks for enlightening me.