PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting dormer openings in Revit 2011

ws
2010-09-27, 08:23 AM
Am I missing something or is the only way to create or adjust a dormer opening sketch in a roof is to add temporary walls so that you can pick their faces to create lines on the roofplane?

I can pick roof edges or wall faces where the wall touches the roof, but haven't found anything else.

I just keep thinking that it can't be this difficult and I must be missing something obvious? ;)

cliff collins
2010-09-27, 12:33 PM
Try using reference planes.

cheers

ws
2010-09-27, 01:25 PM
thanks Cliff,

I wondered about that but you can't pick reference planes in a 3D view... or any view, when using the dormer opening tool.

I can't see any way to manually create dormer opening sketch lines apart from picking wall and roof edges (as attached).

Thus in tricky situations I have to drop in odd walls to intersect the roof just so that I can pick their faces to create the sketch lines on the roof plane.

Just seems very awkward.

hai.k.le
2010-09-27, 02:20 PM
Model lines work too.

Set your work plane to the face of the roof to be cut and draw model lines where you want the dormer to cut.

ws
2010-09-27, 03:09 PM
Thanks very much - yes, that works, :)

although you have to pick the model lines once drawn on the roof, with the pick tool to be able to trim the opening sketch lines to each other.

cheers :beer:

patricks
2010-09-27, 05:52 PM
I have to ask though... why do you have a dormer without walls? :)

ws
2010-09-27, 07:29 PM
Better ventilation? ;)

That's just something I threw together to illustrate the issue.

Most of my dormers I like to do as the attached examples where the slate roof overlaps the wall front either side of the dormer cheeks more than the structural roof but until this suggestion I could only manage it by using the inner and outer faces of the dormer cheek walls to pick for the two roof layers.