PDA

View Full Version : DBLink issue

jseck
2010-09-27, 06:40 PM
I am experimenting with Revit DBLink using an MySQL database. I can export the database just fine using App Button --> Export --> ODBC Database, then selecting the data source but it doesn't work using the DBLink Add-in. Anyone else have this issue?

Jason

cliff collins
2010-09-27, 06:49 PM
I get this message

see attached.

I'm using Win 7 64, RAC 2011 64 bit.
Seems like the DB Link Add-in is a 32 bit app, since it installs in C: \Program Files\ x86
folder.

Perhaps there are some Revit 64 bit, Win 7 64 bit and MS SQL 64 bit problems?

I'll look into this a bit further........

cheers

jseck
2010-09-27, 07:07 PM
Cliff,

Way off topic, but what concert is that shown in your Avatar?

cliff collins
2010-09-27, 07:12 PM
That would be me and my band, AudioTherapy playing a club in St. Louis
(which I think has since closed)
about a year and a half ago..........I'm the drummer LOL!

cheers

Clyne Curtis
2010-09-27, 08:04 PM
I was getting this same error when when using DBLink to eport to an Access file. Turns out it was Windows 7 making the destination directory read only. Once I changed the read-only properties of the files in the directory, including changing the permissions to allow modifying by the user I was logged in as the problem went away.
Hope this helps!

Clyne

jseck
2010-09-27, 08:05 PM
In my case, I'm not getting any errors. I click OK to export and nothing happens.

cliff collins
2010-09-27, 08:10 PM
Sounds like that could be a lack of memory/RAM problem?

( Similar to when trying to render a large scene and nothing happens.)

How large is the Revit file/database that you are trying to export?

What OS and hardware ( esp. how much RAM ) are you running?

As a simple test,
Try creating a new very small Revit project and then try exporting the database.

cheers

quoined
2010-09-27, 08:18 PM
If you're using Windows 7 or Windows Vista you may have to run Revit as administrator in order to use the plug in.

-Tim

jseck
2010-09-27, 08:20 PM
Revit file: 58.8MB
Windows XP_64-bit, 16GB RAM

DBLink to an Access database: No problem
DBLink to an Excel database: No problem
Export to ODBC database (MySQL database on external web site): No problem
DBLink to ODBC database (MySQL database on external web site): Does nothing.

I tried DBLink-ing a small project as a test and got the same result.

cliff collins
2010-09-27, 08:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying. You have plenty of RAM!

Just another question:

Could you export from DB Link to ODBC with SQL Express?
I wonder if it's a MySQL issue?

cheers

jseck
2010-09-27, 08:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying. You have plenty of RAM!

Just another question:

Could you export from DB Link to ODBC with SQL Express?
I wonder if it's a MySQL issue?

cheers

No, haven't tried that yet.

arqt49
2010-09-27, 09:00 PM
Another try: delete and create a new file (mdb or other).

jseck
2010-09-28, 08:05 PM
Ok, so apparently it doesn't work with MySQL. I downloaded and installed Microsoft SQL Express and it worked fine.

cliff collins
2010-09-28, 08:09 PM
My suspicions were correct.

Thanks for the update.

cheers

josh.made4worship
2010-09-28, 09:02 PM
Just out of curiousity, what sort of things are people using the DBlink tool for? I am aware of the ability to go in and change data within the database and it can update the model, but are there any other workflows people are using for certain tasks?

arqt49
2010-09-29, 08:35 AM
I use RDBlink as an alternative for copy to spreadsheet script by nicolas.
I also use RDBlink to make a complete list of revit components, by joining all schedules. For QTO, I want a single schedule with all host, components and materials. And because I can't do that inside revit, I use the RDBLink.

josh.made4worship
2010-09-29, 02:02 PM
I use RDBlink as an alternative for copy to spreadsheet script by nicolas.
I also use RDBlink to make a complete list of revit components, by joining all schedules. For QTO, I want a single schedule with all host, components and materials. And because I can't do that inside revit, I use the RDBLink.

Thanks for the info...that's helpful. So do you have a separate script you use in the database with the excel information, or do you literally import the excel file to the database table?

Does anyone else have any examples of how they use RDBlink?

cliff collins
2010-09-29, 08:31 PM
We met with a Contractor the other day who is using Revit and Navisworks, along with some propreitary apps to develop Facilities Management tools for Owners.

All of the objects in the Arch., Struct. MEP, Civil, Interiors and other models are exported out either with ODBC or Revit DB Link for downstream use in these other apps for FM.

Cost estimation would be another very powerful use of Revit DB Link--using MS Access
and/or Timberline, Vico, or other cost estimating packages.

cheers

jseck
2010-10-04, 01:46 PM
For those of you that are using DBLink, have you run across any problems connecting large Revit models? I guy in our office is trying to link up a file that has 1,246 pieces of mechanical equipment and contains 100 project parameters that are assigned to the mechanical equipment category. He's been able to export, but when he tries to import, it crashes Revit. I tried to DBLink the same file to an SQL database and had problems as well. It would export, although it took a long time. Then I could view the tables in Revit when performing an Import & Edit, but when I tried to apply those changes in Revit, it eventually locked up.

glynnis.patterson
2010-10-04, 05:21 PM
Hi Jason,
We had a very similar tech support issue, relative to speciality equipment, with a customer last week. After extensive testing and working with Autodesk we determined that it was not working because, according to Autodesk Technical Support, "currently additional parameters created in the family editor environment are not included when exporting using DB Link. This is a current limitation which the development team will be considering the feasibility for a future Revit DB Link release."

We are using our own program, Ideate BIMLink (in Beta) to work around this issue.
http://ideatesolutions.blogspot.com/2010/10/first-look-at-ideate-bimlink.html

If you're interested, I could try and help you troubleshoot. BIMLink has been helpful in identifying certain parameters that are causing issues. In one instance we found that the comment length exceeded a character limitation. After reducing the length of the Text field we were able to import properly.

soender
2010-11-08, 12:58 PM
Jason,

I have the same problems as you guys. It's not that RDBL does not work in itself - I have tested it with the "Advanced Sample Project". It also worked with 2010, when the model of the project was still small. But now, when I want to dig into schedules big time, the export halts and crash my system. Going through Technical Support and exchanging models/DLL files have not provided me with a solution.
The route I'm taking now, is "one way export" to the ODBC. Frustrating to say it mildly.

It's a bit sad, that this very important step in creating a BIM workflow is so error prone. 3'rd party software and plugins might be a solution, but this should also work "out of the box".

Gene Herring
2010-11-08, 08:52 PM
Folks, also trying to use DBLink as an alternative for bi-directional update of "key schedules" in lieu of the copy spreadsheet utility. I have not been able to get the export to MS Access working properly due to the incompatible 64 bit driver issue. Using the SQL Express driver, key schedules don't seem to come through. Anyone having any luck with this? Thanks.

arqt49
2010-11-09, 10:08 AM
Gene,try this:

Unless you already have MS Office 2010, the 2007 version (32bits) needs a new 64bit driver for ODBC.
Microsoft provides one at here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C06B8369-60DD-4B64-A44B-84B371EDE16D&displaylang=en)