PDA

View Full Version : Light Not Turning On

kmarquis
2010-09-29, 02:29 PM
If someone can get this light to render I would be so happy.

It's a LED light strip that runs up the side of the building and it would look fantastic in a night rendering. I can't get them to turn on. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

I've attached a small example of the wall and the light in a Revit 2011 Project File.

Thanks.

cliff collins
2010-09-29, 03:40 PM
A couple of suggestions:

--In Custom Render settings, make sure "soft shadows" are turned on.

--Also try adjusting the output of the lamp, and check and see if the fixture itself has a lens
which may be blocking the light emmission.

--Make sure the light output type is set to linear in the family.

--You might also consider using a "luminous material" set to "LED ON"
for the material of the extrusion itself.

I'll open the file and have a look.

cheers

cliff collins
2010-09-29, 06:29 PM
Take a look--

I adjusted some settings on the LED light fixture and moved the light source to the center
of the slot as it was getting blocked. The intensity was cranked up high--exaggerated just to see if it would render.

I also applied a "light bulb on" self-illuminating material to the cylindrical LED extrusion.

see attached quick night render image.

cheers

kmarquis
2010-09-29, 07:37 PM
Take a look--

I adjusted some settings on the LED light fixture and moved the light source to the center
of the slot as it was getting blocked. The intensity was cranked up high--exaggerated just to see if it would render.

I also applied a "light bulb on" self-illuminating material to the cylindrical LED extrusion.

I'm still getting total darkness. I'm usually able to eventually figure out stuff out...So frustrated.

I'm not sure where you applied a "Light Bulb On" self-illuminating material. I applied a Default light Source material to the cylindrical extrusion. Is that wrong? Would you be against sending me the project file you created the rendering from so I can look at what you did?

Thanks Cliff.

cliff collins
2010-09-29, 07:50 PM
Yes,

The Default Light Source material is what needs to be changed, as I recall.

You won't believe this--but I tried to upload the Revit file after I tweaked it and its
2.27 MB which is just a little too big to upload. I even purged it and it was still too big. LOL

I can email it if you would like-- PM me and I'll send it !

cheers

muttlieb
2010-09-29, 08:00 PM
I'm still getting total darkness. I'm usually able to eventually figure out stuff out...So frustrated.

I applied a Default light Source material to the cylindrical extrusion. Is that wrong?

The key is that your light source is embedded in the cylindrical extrusion. You need to either move the light source so it is not buried in the solid, or change the material of the extrusion to something transparent.

cliff collins
2010-09-29, 08:12 PM
Karen,

I deleted one of the lights and compacted the file and it's small enough to post.

So Here you go!

cheers

Munkholm
2010-09-29, 08:52 PM
As allready suggested, move the light source out, and maybe even over do it a little, just to spread the light on the facade.
Also, I´d make the length TYPE based, so that the "Length" and the "Emit from line length" can be tied togheter... the attached example is not using a "light bulp on" material, but only the light source it self, but try and tweak it a little, and maybe you´ll get an even better result with a "light bulp on" material applied to the LED tube.
Have fun :beer: