PDA

View Full Version : Revisions on placeholder sheets

Scott Womack
2010-09-30, 10:43 AM
Searched, but did not find an answer. How do you add a Revision to a placeholder sheet?
I want to have every sheet in the set have Revision 1 - BID Documents on it so it will appear on the cover sheet correctly.

Scott

Munkholm
2010-09-30, 11:43 AM
Beats me ! But find it hard to believe that it can´t be done... :confused:
Back to the mystery...

rosskirby
2010-09-30, 04:12 PM
Haven't tried this yet myself, but maybe you add the "Current Revision" parameter to the placeholder sheet schedule, fill in the data, then hide that column...?

Fred Blome
2010-09-30, 10:53 PM
Since the placeholder sheet is actually there, I just throw a revision cloud segment somewhere on it. If I want all sheets to show the revision, I put a cloud segment way off in the left margin of one sheet and copy/paste align to all the rest of the sheets at once.

Scott Womack
2010-10-01, 09:40 AM
Since the placeholder sheet is actually there, I just throw a revision cloud segment somewhere on it. If I want all sheets to show the revision, I put a cloud segment way off in the left margin of one sheet and copy/paste align to all the rest of the sheets at once.

Yes I know I can do that, but then I'd have to create the sheets. In 2011, you can create them in the schedule, without actually creating the sheet. When using this system, it does not appear you can "add" the revision.

To add a Revision to a created sheet, you can do so without the cloud. When this Revision Number and Revision Date are added to the schedule, you cannot select this column, and edit/add anything.. I'd like to be able to add revisions to this sheets via a schedule, without actually creating the sheets.

Any more ideas?

Alfredo Medina
2010-10-01, 01:27 PM
I want to have every sheet in the set have Revision 1 - BID Documents on it so it will appear on the cover sheet correctly.

Since placeholders are temporary, this solution might work temporarily, too:

In the drawing list schedule, add a calculated value, such as 'Revision", data type: text ; formula = "Revision 1 - BID Documents". Then add another calculated value, such as "Date"; data type: text ; formula = "10-01-2010".

When the time comes to use the placeholder sheets, you can remove/hide these temporary fields and insert/reveal the actual fields.

In the schedule shown in the illustration, I have 2 true sheets and 2 placeholders, and all 4 show the same calculated values.

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-01, 01:30 PM
I wouldnt do that, its going to negate all of the functionality of the real columns in the schedule.

Scott- It appears they dont intend (im assuming) for them to stay Placeholders, even if theyre consultants sheets. I guess we look at it as a faster way to make the dummy sheets, but that you still have to make the dummy sheets. Hmph.

Scott Womack
2010-10-01, 03:34 PM
I wouldnt do that, its going to negate all of the functionality of the real columns in the schedule.

Scott- It appears they dont intend (im assuming) for them to stay Placeholders, even if theyre consultants sheets. I guess we look at it as a faster way to make the dummy sheets, but that you still have to make the dummy sheets. Hmph.

Well I guess that is one for the Wish List!. I'm really resisting making them actual sheets, although I may have to. In a previous firm several years ago, a Summer intern was told to plot all of the sheets in the project file (not by me). They plotted over 100 "blank" titleblock sheets, for the MEP, Structural, Civil, and Landscape, which were all being done in AutoCAD at that time. That has stuck with me.

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-01, 03:40 PM
I hear you. The more i look at the feature set for Revisions on Sheets, the more its disconcerting for me.

Im MORE inclined to tell everyone to use an actual Revision Cloud on every sheet, for issuing "Revisions on sheets" that arent clouded, and then just setting the cloud for "that revision" to not be visible. At least then you can paste aligned the cloud to every sheet in the set at once. Going sheet by sheet to click Revisions on Sheets is flat out RIDICULOUS.

t1.shep
2010-10-01, 04:37 PM
What sheets are your dummy sheets? Why aren't they in Revit? Are they in CAD? Are they consultant's sheets?
If you're including liked sheets then you should have your consultants transfer the revision settings from your project and then any sheets they've revised will show up as revised in your drawing list.
If your dummy sheet is from a consultant who is not using Revit (Civil, Landscaping, or some other) then hopefully they don't have a ton of sheets and it wouldn't hurt to convert them to "real" "dummy" sheets and place the rev. cloud on the sheet.

Munkholm
2010-10-01, 04:52 PM
What sheets are your dummy sheets? Why aren't they in Revit?

They´re in Revit allrigt - New feature in 2011 called Placeholders.... they´d be a great feature, IF we where able to apply Revisions to these Placeholders, or Dummy Sheets if you want... :beer:

t1.shep
2010-10-01, 06:17 PM
They´re in Revit allrigt - New feature in 2011 called Placeholders.... they´d be a great feature, IF we where able to apply Revisions to these Placeholders, or Dummy Sheets if you want... :beer:

What I meant was why are there dummy sheets in the first place? If they're consultant sheets and they're using revit, you shouldn't need the dummy sheets. But if they're placeholders for CAD sheets or something else, then hopefully there aren't that many and converting them could be an option.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-10-07, 02:24 PM
I hear you. The more i look at the feature set for Revisions on Sheets, the more its disconcerting for me.

Im MORE inclined to tell everyone to use an actual Revision Cloud on every sheet, for issuing "Revisions on sheets" that arent clouded, and then just setting the cloud for "that revision" to not be visible. At least then you can paste aligned the cloud to every sheet in the set at once. Going sheet by sheet to click Revisions on Sheets is flat out RIDICULOUS.

Let me know if I misunderstood what you were saying but for real sheets in the project you can select multiple sheets in the Project Browser and if the project has revisions set up go to the Properties Palette. Down at the bottom of the Identity Data section there is a field for Revisions on Sheet. Click the edit button and you can select what revisions you want to see listed on the sheet or sheets. There has to be a Revision Schedule in your title block family for this to work.

dmoodydesign
2010-10-07, 03:00 PM
...But if they're placeholders for CAD sheets or something else, then hopefully there aren't that many and converting them could be an option.

Aren't that many? We recently had a project that was printed in volumes because the printer didn't have staples long enough. The next option was screw posts, so we split it up, Vol 1 - Arch & I.D. and Vol 2 - everyone else. The only reason we put their sheets in our set is to show a drawing list, and even that is terribly time consuming. Thankfully this office doesn't show revisions on the drawing list like my last office did, so this problem won't come up here. However, the fact that it exists is silly, regardless of the number of sheets one has to create.

Scott Womack
2010-10-07, 04:08 PM
What I meant was why are there dummy sheets in the first place? If they're consultant sheets and they're using revit, you shouldn't need the dummy sheets. But if they're placeholders for CAD sheets or something else, then hopefully there aren't that many and converting them could be an option.

They are placeholder sheets for the Civil, Landscape, and the Owner's Security consultant. This totals about 30 sheets or so. Hence the question about applying Revisions to these Placeholder sheets.

The entire set is well over 200+ sheets. We'll do a Bid set, and then an Issued for Construction set that incorporates all addenda, and what ever alternates the University elects to accept. We'll need Addenda revisions and the Issued for Construction revision as well.

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-07, 04:32 PM
Let me know if I misunderstood what you were saying but for real sheets in the project you can select multiple sheets in the Project Browser and if the project has revisions set up go to the Properties Palette. Down at the bottom of the Identity Data section there is a field for Revisions on Sheet. Click the edit button and you can select what revisions you want to see listed on the sheet or sheets. There has to be a Revision Schedule in your title block family for this to work.

No, you cant.

The moment you select more than one Sheet, the "Revisions on Sheet" button is REMOVED from the Properties Palette. Its the one Property on the Sheet that you CANT access with multiple sheets selected, which means you have to go sheet by sheet.

Versus copy > Paste same place > Pick relevant sheets at once, to place a revision cloud.

If youre revisions on sheet button stays active with more than one sheet selected, id LOVE to see it!

cdatechguy
2010-10-07, 05:35 PM
Placeholder sheets sounded pretty neat when I first heard about it....but when I found I could not add parameters to them I wound up never using them.

Since I can link in Revit files and get their sheets anyway....I create an Index file with all the consultants (and ahem, our DWG files) sheets...that way I can keep our primary project files free of empty sheet views.