PDA

View Full Version : Simple cost estimating inside Revit

sfraney
2004-12-23, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a very basic schedule which can compute the following:

Wall (Cubic Feet)
Cost (Per Cubic Foot)

I'd like to have a realtime schedule on my plan drawing that can show the changing cost based upon a certain cost per C.F. assigned to the wall. I'm not sure what the best way to approach this. Any help would be great because I'm trying to convince some avid autocad users that Revit is the way to go.

I just need a floating schedule right above my floor plan that changes cost as the walls are added to the plan. Thanks.

sfaust
2004-12-23, 07:11 PM
1. create a schedule (under view tab) and schedule walls.

2. Under "fields" add volume

3. Click "add a parameter" and name it "cost per ft3" or whatever. This should be a "number" type and probably by type (not instance).

4. Click "calculated value" and call it "cost" (again, up to you) and make the formula "Volume / (1 CF) * cost per ft3" -- this formula is just cost per ft3 times volume, but you have to divide volume by 1 cf to make it a unitless value

5. If you want just a one line schedule that has all walls, go to sorting and grouping and uncheck "itmize every instance" -- I would maybe also schedule the type and sort by type then uncheck this. This will give you only totals for each wall type.

6. go to formatting tab and click on the "cost" parameter and click "field format..." and uncheck "use project settings" then set it to round to 2 decimal places. -- also check "calculate totals"

7. Set the "cost per ft3" to round the same way and check "calculate totals" here as well.

8. Finish the schedule.

You will not be able to have the schedule in an actual floor plan view, but there are two alternates to see it directly. First, you can drag the schedule onto the same sheet as the floor plan, then right click and activate the floor plan drawing and draw there. The schedule will be greyed out but you will be able to see it update. Second, you could just tile the schedule and floor plan windows.

sfaust
2004-12-23, 07:19 PM
forgot to mention that you will also need to manually enter the cost per ft3 of each wall type. this can either be done by selecting one of the walls and going to properties, or it can simply be entered in the schedule once you are done with it.