PDA

View Full Version : How to make a section cut that isn't a straight lines?

jameswest77
2010-10-01, 06:17 PM
Alright, this is bugging me since I figure it must be possible. How can I make a section cut that doesn't follow a straight line? I know how to split segments to pull and push parts of section cuts, but those are all parallel to each other and I'd like them to be at any angle. Basically, I'd love to turn a polyline into a section cut.

Possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

patricks
2010-10-01, 06:27 PM
Can't be done in Revit. Not natively anyway. Since sections in Revit are actual sections looking through a 3D model construct, how would it know how to project certain things in certain areas?

Best you'll be able to do is create separate sections for each of your "polyline" segments, turn off the head and tail annotations for all but the outer 2 segments, and then place each section view side-by-side on a sheet. If the various sections are not parallel, you'll have to deal with either geometry projects of the same elements overlapping each other (parts seen from different angles) or areas with geometry missing because the projection of each adjacent section does not overlap or touch.

Munkholm
2010-10-01, 06:28 PM
Not possible. But you could make two (or more) sections, and place them correctly next to each other at the sheet...
Trying to imagine where to use this :confused: But i´m sure the finished result would be worth a look ;-)

rtaube
2010-10-01, 06:29 PM
This is a workaround, since I don't believe it's possible to do what you're asking (could be wrong on that, though) but can you create two section cuts, stagger them, then align the views?

Munkholm
2010-10-01, 06:31 PM
3 replies within 3 minutes ! This forum is on fire ;-)
All 3 replies with the same solution too... so it must the the right one :-)

jameswest77
2010-10-01, 06:57 PM
Dang it. I'm cutting a section through a large site with 7 units and 4 roads. The section would ideally cut perpendicularly through each unit, but since each unit is oriented to the site and slightly at an angle relative to each other the building sections don't read very well with Revit's straight-line section cut. Make sense?

Thanks for the quick responses. :)

patricks
2010-10-01, 07:49 PM
Yep, we understand, but really there's no way for Revit to make it work and have it look right automatically, since the section you're after would not be a true representation of the actual 3D model.

Interesting aside, the dean of the College of Architecture Art + Design at Mississippi State University (where I graduated) is named Jim West. :)

patricks
2010-10-01, 07:51 PM
To create this overall section, if you want to show the actual section geometry thru each unit, I would probably just create sections through each unit, place them on a sheet spaced out based on the separation between each unit, and then do a separate drafting view with an earth filled region, and extrapolate the topo changes based on the topography between each unit.

gaby424
2010-10-01, 08:41 PM
Alright, this is bugging me since I figure it must be possible. How can I make a section cut that doesn't follow a straight line? I know how to split segments to pull and push parts of section cuts, but those are all parallel to each other and I'd like them to be at any angle. Basically, I'd love to turn a polyline into a section cut.

Possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

ups? i didn`t know that you can push/pull segments of the same section to paralel planes? is this posible? How?

jameswest77
2010-10-01, 09:00 PM
ups? i didn`t know that you can push/pull segments of the same section to paralel planes? is this posible? How?

After you draw a straight section, select the section and then click the Split Segment button.

gaby424
2010-10-01, 09:33 PM
cooooool. these options... i never see them :)

mark.98140
2010-10-02, 12:25 AM
actually i always thought a similar issue existed with elevations on sites with irregular boundaries (imagine a site with a boundary that has perhaps 3 different angled sides to the north). Trying to have an elevation that follows the side boundary in a manner that cuts through the topo levels is near impossible in this instance - it seems?