PDA

View Full Version : Wall Sub-categories

dzatto
2010-10-05, 07:46 PM
Is this possible yet? I've read older threads saying it isn't.

Here's what I need to do, hopefully there is another way.

I have a building that is half structural steel column, and half structural block walls. I need to show my structural steel and block walls in the plan. The problem is, if I just turn on my walls, all my interior and non load bearing exterior walls show up. How do I accomplish this?

Also, some of my structural block wall have brick veneer. Is there any way to show the block portion of the wall and turn off the brick in a view? I guess I could use 2 different walls, but that seems like a pain in the arse.

Suggestions??

cliff collins
2010-10-05, 07:51 PM
Try using Filters for the 1st part of the question to separate out different walls from each other, then set views using filters.

The 2nd part of the questions' answer is 2 wall types.

--or--

If the brick is a hosted sweep, not part of the wall structure, you might be able to hide it / turn it off?

cheers

dzatto
2010-10-05, 08:03 PM
Try using Filters for the 1st part of the question to separate out different walls from each other, then set views using filters.

The 2nd part of the questions' answer is 2 wall types.

--or--

If the brick is a hosted sweep, not part of the wall structure, you might be able to hide it / turn it off?

cheers
Nope, it's a compound wall. :|

Filters..........got it. Thanks. :beer:

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-05, 08:56 PM
We model our Structural Back ups and Veneer walls as seperate Revit walls. Its not as much work as you might think, particularly when you get in to complex finish systems with gaps between them, and solid backup walls.

Sounds insane, im sure. But after doing it this way, id never go back to one wall for Exteriors. We keep Substrate (GWB, plywd, etc) on the backup wall with the framing, etc... But keep all of the finishes seperated.

dzatto
2010-10-05, 10:47 PM
We model our Structural Back ups and Veneer walls as seperate Revit walls. Its not as much work as you might think, particularly when you get in to complex finish systems with gaps between them, and solid backup walls.

Sounds insane, im sure. But after doing it this way, id never go back to one wall for Exteriors. We keep Substrate (GWB, plywd, etc) on the backup wall with the framing, etc... But keep all of the finishes seperated.
I can see your point. Especially for what I'm doing with structural block / brick veneer. I may just have to split it up.

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-05, 11:16 PM
Once you do, youll never go back. Detailing returns and joinery correctly is a cinch. Pulling finishes up and down designing details doesnt have to yank on the interior back up walls, etc. A simple join geometry tears the openings though both walls.

Door frames and window frames dont extend automatically, but since we have custom controls in the doors and windows for that, it doesnt bother us. We dont wrap door frames that thick anyway.