PDA

View Full Version : Modeling brick features

dzatto
2010-10-05, 08:31 PM
What's the best way to do the soldier coursing at the top of this wall (the squares that repeat along the top)? The only thing that comes to mind is splitting the face painting them in. There's a lot of them, though! lol

Any other ideas?

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-05, 08:57 PM
Make a component thats wall hosted, that cuts out the wall and replaces that section. 8" wide by 8" tall. give it a material parameter. Change the material to Soldier course, and drop one in and array.

dzatto
2010-10-05, 09:11 PM
Make a component thats wall hosted, that cuts out the wall and replaces that section. 8" wide by 8" tall. give it a material parameter. Change the material to Soldier course, and drop one in and array.
Freakin' brilliant.

As soon as I think I'm starting to get the hang of Revit, stuff like this happens. My mind just doesn't think the "revit way"................yet. :beer:

Okay, I gave it a material type parameter. It lets me select the material, but it still shows gray. Does it have to be a shared parameter to work?

dzatto
2010-10-05, 09:23 PM
Never mind I got it. I don't know if it's correct, but I had to link the material listed in the properties palette to the material paramter I created. Why it's not already linked I don't know. But it works now.

cdatechguy
2010-10-05, 10:11 PM
You can also create a wall type of just the soldier brick....space them out where you want them and group them. Then use the cut geometry to cut one wall out of the other...

dzatto
2010-10-05, 10:45 PM
You can also create a wall type of just the soldier brick....space them out where you want them and group them. Then use the cut geometry to cut one wall out of the other...
another great idea.

I also have to do these on the columns, which is on another plane, so I opted for the family route. Both would have worked great though. Thanks for the ideas guys. :beer: