PDA

View Full Version : Roof orientation

eddy.lermytte
2004-12-24, 09:15 AM
Hello
When creating a roof by footprint Revit put the rooffamilie (by default) under the "roofsurface"
I want Revit to put the rooffamilie above the roofsurface at once. How to ?

I am also looking for: "how to change the roof's orientation " . (Alike the change wall's orientation)

Eddy

adegnan
2004-12-26, 08:39 PM
Can you post an image? I don't understand the question.

If you mean the structure is above the finish, then you need to go into the roof family structure and change the order of the layers.

eddy.lermytte
2004-12-27, 10:51 AM
Adegnan

Some pictures to show what I actualy mean.
Fig 1: basic roof > created by footprint on level 2
Fig 2: same roof > two cut plumb with fascia depth
Fig 3: roof manualy moved to level 2
What I want to achive is that Revit puts the roof at once as shown in Fig 3.
This could be easily done if there is an option to make Revit clear on which side to place the rooffamilie (above or underneath the "roofsurface by footprint")
Fig 4: For example : without the option > changing the roofs slope force me to move the roof again.
Maybe there is a another (smarter way) to achive what I want.

Eddy

adegnan
2004-12-27, 12:34 PM
You have several different methods of control. A roof of zero thickness will pass directly above the wall plate you use to define it (if you 'pick walls.') A roof of 7" thickness will have its bottom edge at the plate line.

Now when you pick walls it drops the eave edge according to the overhang and slope. For instance a 6/12 pitch roof will drop 12" if you have a 24" overhang. You can override this by aligning eaves (if you have multiple slopes) or by picking the sketch line, properties, and changing the value.

Finally an entire roof has a universal height offset which is probably what you want to control. This number is chaged when you use the 'move' or 'align' command to move a wall location.

Unfortunately there is not a "heel heigh" conntrol which takes into account how the heel heigh changes as the pitch changes. It looks like this is what you are hoping for. I just make the adjustment manually.

eddy.lermytte
2004-12-27, 07:04 PM
Adegnan
Thanks for reply.
Without this option ... I can fix it... no question about that ...but

It is indeed the type of offset whitch I want to control. Having the option to position the rooffamilie right at once.
Just ... Type A or type B as shown in fig. without any further adjustments or calculations.

This is apparently not possible > so ... as far as I am concerned > a shortcoming in Revit.
The advantages are so obvious....at least for me :)

Eddy

Allen Lacy
2004-12-27, 07:39 PM
Have you explored the roof option of truss or rafter? This will give you a different position relative to the level. I believe that the default is truss. The rafter option will lower the bottom face of the roof to the level. See the images below. Hope this helps.

eddy.lermytte
2004-12-27, 09:25 PM
Al
Good idea to mention that.
Truss/ rafter concerns the offset of the roof; wether it will be measured from the inside or the outside of the wall.
Only when the walls have a certain, easy to calculate thickness, things are right. All other do not match.
Anyway I keep your suggestion in mind for handling things.

Eddy

adegnan
2004-12-30, 01:09 PM
I think we need a definitive, GRAPHICAL explanation of this from the factory?

And improvement to a HEEL HEIGHT system.

bclarch
2004-12-30, 02:52 PM
I think we need a definitive, GRAPHICAL explanation of this from the factory?

And improvement to a HEEL HEIGHT system.
I'm with you Abe.

rodneyf
2004-12-30, 03:05 PM
I will third that motion.

gravelin
2004-12-30, 04:22 PM
Here's what I know about Roofs

1- Be careful on how you make the lines in the sketch : Pick wall or Draw a line. This choice determines where the roof cuts the level, The side of roof is articulated at this point (see pict. 1 and 2)
2- The Truss / Rafter option have effect only if you use Pick wall on the line in sketch. This choise determines if the roof intersect with the wall externaly or internaly. (see pict 3)
3- The rafter cut determine how you cut the border of the roof (see pict 4 to view how fascia depth is measured)

Hope this will help you.

Joef
2004-12-30, 04:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time to prepare and post this. It's very helpful information.

Joe

eddy.lermytte
2004-12-30, 06:28 PM
Yes... this visualise very well they all have one thing in common .... Type A (see left thumbnail I attached on 27/12/04

Eddy

adegnan
2004-12-31, 02:24 PM
Looks like a good reference that Gravelin gave us. Good for FAQ?