PDA

View Full Version : Problem with glass-railing transparency in elevation-view

kappy
2010-10-06, 01:47 PM
Hey guys, please watch my attached image.

The problem I have is that the glass-railing I've constructed isn't transparent in elevation-view, but it is perfectly transparent in 3D-view.

I've had extreme problems with creating a good glass-railing that would adjust etc, but i've created it with a glass-railing which is 1100 high, and glass-balusters to simulate the holes between them.

What I simply can't understand is why it turns gray in a elevation view? And of what I know, I have very limited access to changing the way the railings behave, as it is just a profile i load in?

Kindest regards.

jeffh
2010-10-06, 02:04 PM

The problem I have is that the glass-railing I've constructed isn't transparent in elevation-view, but it is perfectly transparent in 3D-view.

I've had extreme problems with creating a good glass-railing that would adjust etc, but i've created it with a glass-railing which is 1100 high, and glass-balusters to simulate the holes between them.

What I simply can't understand is why it turns gray in a elevation view? And of what I know, I have very limited access to changing the way the railings behave, as it is just a profile i load in?

Kindest regards.

Glass is not rendered as transparent in elevations in Revit. An elevation is a projected view everything is rendered as solid in projected views.

In order to make the glass railing "see through" you would have to basicallly turn off the visibility of the railing and then add in the edges with detail lines in that view.

johnf.77896
2010-10-06, 03:39 PM
You could also do a 3d view and turn off perspective.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

dzatto
2010-10-06, 04:07 PM
How do windows show transparent automatically? Just wondering.

jeffh
2010-10-06, 05:32 PM
How do windows show transparent automatically? Just wondering.

They don't show transparent in a projected view. Attached are 3 elevation views. One hidden line style, another wireframe, and a 3rd with the window cartgory turned off. The brick wall behind is seen through the window while in wireframe, but cant be seen through the window in a hidden line view. The only way to see the wall behind is turn off the visibility of the entire window category.

dzatto
2010-10-06, 05:42 PM
Ahhh, I confused myself. lol

I thought the OP attachment was a 3D view, it's an elevation with shading turned on. Oops. :shock:

STHRevit
2010-10-07, 02:20 AM

Kindest regards.

You could try over riding graphics in view.
Select the glass panels, right click, override graphics in view. Select by element and change them to transparent. The outline will show but you will be able to see through them.
Not real handy for windows though as you will see through the frame.

kappy
2010-10-07, 11:49 AM
You could try over riding graphics in view.
Select the glass panels, right click, override graphics in view. Select by element and change them to transparent. The outline will show but you will be able to see through them.

Thanks, this did the trick. Selected the object -- Override graphics in view -- By Element -- Change to transparent -- Projection Lines to solid black line

arqt49
2010-10-07, 12:47 PM

In that case, you can just turn off the glass sub-category visibility.

jeffh
2010-10-07, 12:57 PM
In that case, you can just turn off the glass sub-category visibility.

That does not work in projected views. (I know because when I was putting together my response with the images I tried.) The entire window category has to be turned off to in order to see through the opening.

arqt49
2010-10-07, 01:11 PM
That does not work in projected views. (I know because when I was putting together my response with the images I tried.) The entire window category has to be turned off to in order to see through the opening.

Try again, Jeff.
You only need to uncheck the glass sub-category box.

jeffh
2010-10-07, 01:51 PM
Try again, Jeff.
You only need to uncheck the glass sub-category box.

still not working for me. Maybe we are talking about 2 differernt things?

arqt49
2010-10-07, 01:53 PM
Edit the family and check if the glass extrusion has the "glass" category.
I think that must be the problem.

jeffh
2010-10-07, 01:58 PM
Edit the family and check if the glass extrusion has the "glass" category.
I think that must be the problem.

That looks right too? I am using a standard fixed window from the default imperial template.

????

arqt49
2010-10-07, 02:22 PM
That is odd.
There seems to be a issue with that family.
I used the same fixed window (from the metric template), and if you turn the view to shaded mode, you see... the wall!
I changed the family to use a void extrusion to cut the opening and it just worked out fine.
I didn't explore other options, but the problem seems to be with the "opening".
Make the view with the glass category off into shaded (or shaded with edges) mode and you will understand the problem.

jeffh
2010-10-07, 02:43 PM
That is odd.
There seems to be a issue with that family.
I used the same fixed window (from the metric template), and if you turn the view to shaded mode, you see... the wall!
I changed the family to use a void extrusion to cut the opening and it just worked out fine.
I didn't explore other options, but the problem seems to be with the "opening".
Make the view with the glass category off into shaded (or shaded with edges) mode and you will understand the problem.

I tried the metric template, metric default window families, as well as other imperial window families and still see the exact same behavior. I think your idea about the "opening" being the issue is probably correct. An "opening" in this case behaves programatically different from a void.