PDA

View Full Version : revit-content.com new window

ws
2010-10-07, 08:50 AM
The people at revit-content.com have just posted a new all-in-one window family which like most of their families I've bought at the 67% discount price, for 7 days, if you register for their mailing list.
http://www.revit-content.com/content/window/index.htm

Whatever you think of the all-in-one approach the families are very useful and at the launch price you would probably buy them anyway.

They are certainly a great service for those of us who don't use standard windows and doors in our projects (not that you would find non-North American content in Autodesk Seek anyway at present).

They did something clever with their elevator family, including details from the main manufacturers but as I never use elevators I've not tried it.

Still waiting for panelled doors in their door family but I guess that will eventually come.

patricks
2010-10-07, 02:20 PM
I don't see how they can make something as all-encompassing as that in a file size under 1 MB. If we were going to purchase something like that I'd sure like to play with it first.

ws
2010-10-07, 02:42 PM
They do seem to have learnt a lot since they started - the families used to take ages to update after applying parameter changes but they are now a lot quicker.

This new window family needs a bit of refinement IMO (we like the rebate in the frame not in the sash) but revit-content.com seem very open to suggestions and very fast to respond with updates.

For the modest cost they seem a useful addition to a Revit library - certainly for someone like me who is always fighting time on many small one-off projects.

mthurnauer
2010-10-07, 03:26 PM
I imagine that they have made a pretty complex type catalog. I recently downloaded the free casework families for Thermo Scientific. I was surprised that they had managed to build their entire library of casework and accessories in 16mb. There is one family for base cabinets that is under 1mb and it contains every possible variation. When you look at the family and type catalog, they have made a huge number of parameters that are driven by the type catalog. I thought it seems silly at first, but once you understand the filtering of the catalog, it is pretty slick. Here is the link to their content:
ftp://ftp.fisherhamilton.com/FH_Standard_Product_Library.htm

ws
2010-10-07, 03:27 PM
Just had an email exchange with revit-content.com and it was to keep the file size down that they don't have rebates in the sub-frame - and they have the same problem with including options for molded panels in their door families.

You can in fact set the overlap parameter in the new window family sash to zero and push it back flush with the sub-frame which will keep me happy for the moment.

They did say that they are working on an add-on for Revit to help with family handling but that's way over my head ;)

barrie.sharp
2010-10-07, 03:36 PM
I have bought a copy myself. We work with alot of refurbs and I come across a slightly different window configuration everytime. It is a great time saver to use these families. I use the sash window and door already which are good. As ws states, the window family is alot smoother. It is very flexible and at the discount price worth every penny although I would never pay full price for them but they do listen to bugs and issue alot of fixes. Look at the window page on the website and checkout the PDF manual to understand how flexible they are.

patricks
2010-10-07, 06:34 PM
Well I'm not sure what "rebates" are as it relates to windows... must be a UK term. :) On this side of the pond it means money back off of the original purchase price. :p

I would love to see even just a screen shot of the family parameters window in the family editor, and/or the type catalog.

BTW that fisher scientific link is an FTP that requires login credentials.

mthurnauer
2010-10-07, 07:13 PM
Interesting...You can get to the revit content from here. It does send you to an ftp, but you don't need credentials to login.
http://www.hamiltonlab.com/fisherhamilton/information+center/standard+product+library+autocad+and+revit.asp

patricks
2010-10-07, 07:17 PM
ah yes it let me in now.

ws
2010-10-08, 08:10 AM
Well I'm not sure what "rebates" are as it relates to windows... must be a UK term. :) On this side of the pond it means money back off of the original purchase price. :p

I would love to see even just a screen shot of the family parameters window in the family editor, and/or the type catalog.

Rebate means the same here but I'm guessing rabbet or something similar is what you would use.
Comparison of regional building terms is always fun - e.g. Scotland has 'rhone pipes' and corners of England use 'spouting' while other areas use 'downpipes', and I'm sure that's just the tip of the nogging ;)

I've attached screenshots of the family parameters window (I think) and the type catalog for the latest window family (which comes in 5 pane and 10 pane versions - this is the 5 pane).
They are just about legible on my screen but if too small I can repost them large.

Phillip_Miller
2010-10-08, 11:51 AM
HI.

I just bought the window family as well as it was so cheap really. Its the first revit.content family that I have bought so I was interested to see how well it works.

It has a ton of paramaters, but most of them are pretty straight forward. What would really make this thing rock is an API front end which wouldn't actually be that hard to do. I must have a look into at some time for my practice here.

Cheers
Phillip

ws
2010-10-08, 12:41 PM
If you are thinking of that Phillip have a word with Michael Jones at revit-content.com as they are apparently working on something of the sort.

patricks
2010-10-08, 12:56 PM
Ah yes I am familiar with the term "rabbet" which is usually a square notch along the edge of a piece of wood.

Please tell me they didn't just lump all those many parameters under the "Other" category. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with family creation. :roll:

ws
2010-10-08, 01:07 PM
From what I can see in this window family the 'Other' grouped parameters are calculation parameters and greyed out in the Type Parameter Editor.

patricks
2010-10-08, 02:40 PM
I was referring to the image you posted above. I see all those dimensional parameters along with a few yes/no checkboxes. What parameter category are all of those under? They don't look like they're grayed out.

ws
2010-10-08, 03:51 PM
Those are all grouped under Dimensions in the actual Type Properties Editor.

You could argue that the symbol lines visibility should be in Graphics but they seem to have kept all the parameters to do with configuring the various window permutations in Graphics.

It would be very nice if the Type Properties Editor was dockable like the Properties Editor so that you could see more one window.

Phillip_Miller
2010-10-08, 07:49 PM
If you are thinking of that Phillip have a word with Michael Jones at revit-content.com as they are apparently working on something of the sort.

Yes I might do that, although I thought I would just do a quick mock up for my Design buisneess here internally.

barathd
2010-10-08, 09:48 PM
I bought the cabinet family - unfortunately I found it totally useless. I am tempted to try this new family - would help to see a video in real time. Previous family was too ... too slow. IMHO opinion the concept is excellent - models however way over modelled.

I have worked with several Engliish engineers here in Canada they told me what we do here in three months takes three years to do in England - I'm sure that was a joke??? That is how long I thought it would take to model cabinets.

iankids
2010-10-09, 02:42 AM
The slow regeneration of the families along with the excessively large pre-selection area are a couple of the definite drawbacks of the All in One Families.

I have spoken with Michael a couple of times over these matters. They are certainly aware of these limitations and are working to improve both the performance and the selection area.

I use all of the All in One families which I have purchased, & notwithstanding the above still think they are good value for very well built revit content.

Ian

ws
2010-10-09, 11:53 AM
I have worked with several Engliish engineers here in Canada.

So that's where they've all gone ;)

rbcameron1
2010-10-13, 04:02 PM
Has anyone had any luck getting any decent models of windows from Pella or Kawneer? I've found some on Autodesk Seek and Kawneers website, but they typically are large files and don't contain the right data. I've had decent luck on TurboSquid.com but its hard to convince anyone that for $30 this is a good model unless you read the description and its Revit certified.

ws
2010-10-20, 12:47 PM
revit-content.com update today to the window family has added the ability to make bay windows which seems very useful..
http://www.revit-content.com/content/window/index.htm#bay_window

Might stop me using curtain walls all the time ;)

barrie.sharp
2010-10-20, 03:05 PM
revit-content.com update today to the window family has added the ability to make bay windows which seems very useful..
http://www.revit-content.com/content/window/index.htm#bay_window

Might stop me using curtain walls all the time ;)
This is a valuable update! They are very good at supporting purchases and not wanting a subscription charge. Makes them all the more worth while;)

cdatechguy
2010-10-20, 03:28 PM
Interesting window.....Was looking at their "All in One" Door as well.... I would love to get my hands on that one to see how they kept the file size so low.