PDA

View Full Version : Fitups and starting new projects

sultarc
2004-12-24, 06:32 PM
I'm at the stage of perhaps starting my first revit project. I do a lot of fitups, some in my own legacy software and some in other peoples buildings. I don't use autocad, I use datacad. This means all fitups I do in other peoples buildings I have to convert to datacad first. so.......

1. what is the best way to start a project in a legacy building where the windows/storefronts are custom sized and the walls are not in revit?

2. for a building from scratch, do you need to start on a site plan or do you just start drawing?

3. where custom casework is needed, is this just line work on the plans and elevations? I cannot seem to find any commercial type casework families. are the tops just floor slabs???

4. I have a fear of beginning and not being able to complete the project and having to resort to a conversion to other software for completion.

LRaiz
2004-12-24, 07:21 PM
I recall someone stating that datacad can export either dgn or dxf files. If that is true then you may consider exporting dxf files and importing them into Revit.

sultarc
2004-12-24, 08:49 PM
datacad can export to dwg, but what do i do once its imported?

BillyGrey
2004-12-24, 09:16 PM
Question #3:
Go here:

http://www.wicnet.org/publications/casework.asp

Click on the individual casework series and you will be forwarded to download areas with Revit families. These guys wrote the "Manual of Millwork", and have set industry standards. Their stuff is good. Also, the Autodesk website in the Revit download content area, loads of stuff there. Additionally, you can parametrically alter cabinetry in the model if ness. to fit your needs. I find the prog. very flexible in the area of cabinet design.

As far as tops, you can create in-place family tops(Modelling/Create/Casework) and assign perameters as you see fit, including "counter top". You will create (extrude) solids and peirce them with voids where ness. for sink holes, or whatever. Drawn in the x/y axis and extrude in the z for the basic stuff.

I used floors in times gone by, which are quik and dirty, but you get into trouble on large/complex projects that require precise data info/exchange,or when you need to hide floors in views, and loose your tops in the process.

I'm sure some of the more experienced users have some things to add about counter top creation, and assigning perameters for schedule data, etc...I'll bet the new massing tools can be used as well.

Finally, you can create your own casework families in the family editor. The sky is the limit, really.

HTH

Bill