PDA

View Full Version : Lookout framing over gable end

Wes Macaulay
2003-10-04, 03:25 PM
I've got a roof that uses quite deep roof joists (it's a post and beam design - there's a central beam at the peak). All told, it's about 14" worth of structure and finishes.

I don't want a 14"+ profile at the roof edge; I want something more like 4". You can do this easily at the edges of the roof where the roof line is horizontal. At the gable ends, though, there appears to be no way to reduce the width of the roof edge. At the gable ends, we're going to use 2x4's cantilevered over the gable end (or 2x6's what with the snow loads) and I'd like to show this thinner profile at the roof edge at the gable end.

The only solutions I've thought of are:

- make two roofs and layer them one on the other - the "top" roof is based on the 2x4 fascia edge detail I want; the "bottom" roof will just be INSIDE the walls of the house and show the rest of the depth as needed for the roof structure, or...
- in plan, make the full roof depth for the roof that's INSIDE the walls; outside the walls I use a thinner roof system that's thinner and will give me the roof profile I want at the edge.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to do this?

J-G
2003-10-04, 04:25 PM
Wes,

I have been doing all of our roofs this way...that is one roof within the walls and another outside. What I do is model my first roof which bears on the exterior walls and is plum cut. Then I make a copy of the roof and edit it. The edited roof becomes me roof overhanges.

This is the best method have found. It would work in your case, but I use it generally becasue it gives you more control on your eave conditions. After I am all finished I join the roofs and it looks as if it is one.

One thing we did somtimes do with ADT when we wanted to show rafter tails was to model the roof and the change the thickness to just that of the sheeting and offset the roof to make of for the differences. That gave us a floaitng layer of sheating and then we would through in the rafters. (lets hope for rafters in 6.0...doubtful.)

bclarch
2003-10-06, 02:01 PM
Wes,

I don't know if this will work, but how about trying a hosted edge sweep using a void to carve away the extra thickness?

Wes Macaulay
2003-10-06, 04:02 PM
I void sweep... cool...

It just goes to show that there a lot of ways to skin the cat. The nice thing about talking about it with others is that we're creating a "menu of options" based on different people's approaches to solving the problem.

Henry D
2003-10-06, 05:13 PM
I have been using your first solution. It works great for me because I do a lot of roofs where the ceiling is doing different things than the roof. So I use the first roof layer to extend over the exterior wall as the overhang. Using a roof instead of a ceiling for the interior layer works much better because it's easier to create vaulted or tray ceilings. The ceilng sketch tool is very limted in the slopes it can create.