PDA

View Full Version : Best practice: tagging rooms in a linked model 2011

jmc73
2010-10-11, 08:52 PM
Ok, since I can't tag rooms in a linked model, the only thing I can think of is to create rooms in my model, BUT ... I can't because Revit apparently doesn't see room separation lines of a linked model. Is there something I can do about this? This is a multi-story building with many, many rooms on each floor, so I'm looking for the best practice that will avoid me drawing room separation lines everywhere.

Oh please oh please don't tell me I have to draw room separation lines everywhere!

cliff collins
2010-10-11, 08:58 PM
As I recall,

You can set the linked model itself to be "room bounding"--then the host model will "find"
walls and room separation lines in the linked model.

Highlight the linked model, and select "room bounding" in its Properties box.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-11, 09:04 PM
Its a Type Property, so you need to hit Edit Type first.

Otherwise, put the rooms IN the linked model, tag a floor plan in the Linked model, and set it to By Linked View. in the host model.

Both ways have pro's and con's.

jmc73
2010-10-11, 09:15 PM
Thank you both! Not sure which option I like better (or don't like least) .. but it's good to know there's at least SOMETHING I can do that doesn't include drawing a bazillion room separation lines everywhere. lol

I'll let you know what we did and how it worked after I discuss it with the team.

Many thanks (and if anyone else has another suggestion, I'm all ears)
John

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-11, 09:47 PM
Those are the only ways.

One keeps all the rooms in one file, even though the bounding elements are elsewhere. The other keeps the rooms all in the respective buildings, and just means you go work in that file to edit thsoe rooms.

They can all schedule anyway either way, but to fill out the data you must be in the same model as the room.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-10-11, 10:32 PM
My preference is to keep the rooms in the host model even if the room bounding elements are in the link. Room objects and associated data are managed from the host model and if the boundaries change in the link you are notified and area are the only thing lost. Any additional data added to rooms stays intact.