PDA

View Full Version : Shading analysis ID on image

trombe
2010-10-16, 04:28 AM
Hi,
I need to know how to turn back on, the indexing information that used to be shown on an image when exported as a Still, following export of the one day solar study animation.

I know people used to moan about it being there but I always needed it as it clearly identified what time of the day that still image was related to (needed for planning permissions etc)
I hope there is a switch to turn it back on ?

thanks
regards
trombe

trombe
2010-10-18, 08:26 PM
Hi ,

I am aware that the tool was removed from Revit after RA2009.

See this solution:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/solar-study-image-export-want-index-time-and-date-stamp-back-how/m-p/2799560#M47337

I am trying to do 2 things.
I am trying to make the point that this was short sighted and in fact this tool performs an important function.
I feel its functionality should have been retained but its implementation changed to provide reasonable flexibility for users by way of a switch / tick boxes for the walkthrough tool and for the shading analysis.
This then allows users to determine when it is appropriate to implement when required.

My feeling is that the functionality that was causing people to complain, was in fact the frame counter in the walkthrough tool. I always wondered why it was not a switch or not revised to become a switch during the last few years of development.
It seems clear that it was the complaints to remove that finally prompted as an easy way out.

I am now left with the procedure to stamp and parse, up to 100 images per job when it is required, showing various aspects of shading for a proposal, for assessment.
This is an unreasonable procedure and should have been foreseen by the developers and a viable solution offered.
Now that I have to process each image to determine what time of the day it represents along a pathway for assessment and review without the Date and Time Stamp available, the time to check and plan for alternative solutions is taking the parsing aspect of this work to a level of 4 or 5 times longer to do.

I do not think it is an unreasonable request to have the date and time stamp tool available and see this particular reduction in functionality as seriously undermining the usefulness of the "solar study" toolset.
I totally accept and agree that it should be possible to be able to turn On or OFF the frame counter in the walkthrough, however, not having the stamp for images showing shadows at a certain time of day genuinely and seriously hampers usefulness and production time for this work at all stages of design.

The second thing I am seeking is anyone who has a useful way to overcome the lack of the stamping for the series of images we generate from a Single Day or Multi Day solar study .

trombe