PDA

View Full Version : GRAPHICS WHEN LIKING A REVIT STRUCTURAL FILE

olakahahola
2010-10-19, 07:29 AM
I WAS JUST WONDERING IF I COULD HAVE COLUMNS FROM A STRUCTURAL FILE (WHICH IS LINKED IN.) CUT THOUGH MY WALLS.

RIGHT NOW THE WALLS JUST GO OVER MY COLUMNS. VIEW ATTACHED..

. IT USED TO WORK FINE WHEN THE COLUMNS WERE NOT LINKED. HAVE TO PUT THE LINKED FILE CAUS IT'S COMING FOR STRUC CONSULTANT. THE WALLS ARE SET TO NON BEARING BUT THAT DOESN'T WORK EITHER. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL...

Scott Womack
2010-10-19, 10:40 AM
Stop Shouting (All Caps)

olakahahola
2010-10-19, 11:46 AM
not shouting...haha... im always in caps mode when im workin in revit....but if u got any other suggestions that would help...plz let me know.... (didn't realize all CAPS means that you are shouting... sory)

eric.piotrowicz
2010-10-19, 02:30 PM
It isn't possible to join elements between links. Try using Copy/Monitor for the columns in the structural model.

olakahahola
2010-10-20, 03:43 AM
It isn't possible to join elements between links. Try using Copy/Monitor for the columns in the structural model.

Ya but then those columns would be live in my file? I was just trying to not have to put columns into the Arch model if i was going to be linking in structural file? How have people been working with linking revit structural files? This is the first time that i have been working with an actual revit structural model and would like to see what is the best way to incorporate this info into the main file? Right now i just turn off all annotation of the structural file and show all columns and beams while hiding the floors. Is there a better way to go around this? I believe the copy monitor tool allows elements from one file to another to be copied and then monitored for changes. So would that mean I wouldn't have to link in Structural after that? Any help would be great.
thank you.

Craig_L
2010-10-20, 03:52 AM
This is actually a problem with revit that you wont overcome no matter how you link this file or display the graphics.

It is actually behaving exactly as it is intended to by the program.

The problem is that walls take precedent over every other element.
A wall will cut a structural beam, a column, a footing...walls just plain suck to be honest with you.

The only way you will sort this out is to break your wall around the column. This is actually, in reality, how it will be built anyway, so it's good practice to do that regardless. But the problem is not your link or your graphics it's just plain and simple the way walls are told to behave in revit (which is just plain stupid)

eric.piotrowicz
2010-10-20, 02:14 PM
If you use C/M and put the elements on a locked workset under a different username (admin) it will prevent any accidental movement of the columns. How ever when you get a new structural file you'll need to use the other username to do the coordination review on any columns that changed.
I should have noted before that only columns and walls of the same material will join. Concrete columns and walls and you're fine. Block walls with steel columns, not a chance.

Craig_L
2010-10-20, 11:22 PM
If you use C/M and put the elements on a locked workset under a different username (admin) it will prevent any accidental movement of the columns. How ever when you get a new structural file you'll need to use the other username to do the coordination review on any columns that changed.
I should have noted before that only columns and walls of the same material will join. Concrete columns and walls and you're fine. Block walls with steel columns, not a chance.

Even so, when you have conc walls & columns of the same material (so as they join) you are not then left with a clear demarcation of where the wall ends and the column begins, the items will totally blend and you lose the definition of where the column is placed. Breaking the walls to stop and start at the face of the column is the best method, you can also "edit profile" of your wall to cut away around the column but I wouldnt recommend this, it will play havoc with your footings if you plan to use the wall footing tool.