PDA

View Full Version : Revit to 3DSMAX questions

phildlight
2010-10-20, 03:01 PM
Is anyone aware of a workflow or tool to get a Revit model (2011) into 3DSMAX (2011) without the excessive polys created? I've tried exporting FBX and dwg and both acsii solid and polymesh. All of the export methods I've tried result in practically unusable poly counts in the model. I've hidden as many unnecessary layers as possible for exterior animation, but the model still causes feedback problems and slower than necessary render times.

Curtain walls are by far the worst. Beyond the fact that each element in the assembly is independent where they should be instanced, there are huge amounts of coplanar faces. Just curious if anyone has found any solution to this.

hypnox1
2010-10-20, 08:00 PM
Coming out of Revit there isn't much that can be done. Simply by the way Revit models solids and meshes it creates very poly heavy objects. Some things can be done in Revit to help with this such as creating simpler objects but you still end up with objects like recessed lights with 280+ poly's each. I've found the best approach is to clean up the model in 3DS Max using the ProOptimizer modifier.

This does require a bit of work within 3DS to clean the file out of unecessary poly counts but it is faster than trying to reconfigure everything coming out of Revit. Using the ProOptimizer I can reduce the number of faces on a recessed light from 280+ to ~40.