PDA

View Full Version : "Element is too small on screen"

jameswest77
2010-10-21, 04:27 PM
What is up with this error? I thought Revit was a more powerful CAD- can't it understand an effectively infinite degree of precision? Why is it when I try and move an object a slight amount, like less than a millimeter, I get this error? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Scott Womack
2010-10-21, 04:39 PM
Revit is NOT Cadd. It was never meant to be. They are two different things.

That said, you can just "nudge" things a smaller distance than you can move them them.
Select the item(s) you want to move, zoom way in, and then hit the arrow keys on your keyboard. It will move them some increment of distance. The farther you zoom in, the smaller the increment.

To control the movement, then move it away from where you want it to end up, then you should be able to move it to the proper location, because the distance moved will be bigger.

MikeJarosz
2010-10-21, 04:53 PM
What is up with this error? I thought Revit was a more powerful CAD- can't it understand an effectively infinite degree of precision? Why is it when I try and move an object a slight amount, like less than a millimeter, I get this error? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Thanks,
James

Me too!

I'm working with steel gauges. 10 gauge steel is .0598" That wouldn't work in a compound ceiling family. I substituted 1/16" and it worked!

Incidentally, the preview of my ceiling is blank. What am I doing wrong?

Munkholm
2010-10-21, 06:13 PM

Thanks,
James

Like Scott said, it ain´t CAD !
BUT, there´s a way around it (as always) instead of moving an object 0.5 mm´s, (zoom in) move it 10 mm´s and then move it back by 9.5 mm´s
And no, it´s not often that this kind of accuracy is necessary, but on the rare occasion that it IS, it´s a pain in the behind :beer:

Munkholm
2010-10-21, 06:29 PM
Me too!

I'm working with steel gauges. 10 gauge steel is .0598" That wouldn't work in a compound ceiling family. I substituted 1/16" and it worked!

Incidentally, the preview of my ceiling is blank. What am I doing wrong?

Not much info to go with here, but if the Steel Gauges is built as a family, you can actually draw the profile in a scale of, say 10:1, and when done, simply select the sketch and downscale it by 1:10 - And just like if it where black magic, Revit suddenly accepts lines shorter than 0.8 mm´s (approx. 1/32") which would be the normal limit.
This "Ninja Trick" will NOT work in a project environment though... :beer:

jameswest77
2010-10-21, 07:07 PM
Like Scott said, it ain´t CAD !
BUT, there´s a way around it (as always) instead of moving an object 0.5 mm´s, (zoom in) move it 10 mm´s and then move it back by 9.5 mm´s
And no, it´s not often that this kind of accuracy is necessary, but on the rare occasion that it IS, it´s a pain in the behind :beer:

this is the method I use, but it just seems asinine that a program like this doesn't know what to do with tiny units. totally ridiculous! ;)

Scott Womack
2010-10-21, 08:32 PM
this is the method I use, but it just seems asinine that a program like this doesn't know what to do with tiny units. totally ridiculous! ;)

Well, I feel your pain! There are time that I need to move something 1/256" to get rid of that ridiculous fraction. But in the original writers' defense, it was designed to build building, not minute details. I don't know of a contractor alive that can be held to even 1/8" variation over 100 feet. Sooooo, maybe we're pushing the edge of the envelope for Revit.

Ning Zhou
2010-10-22, 07:25 PM
Not much info to go with here, but if the Steel Gauges is built as a family, you can actually draw the profile in a scale of, say 10:1, and when done, simply select the sketch and downscale it by 1:10 - And just like if it where black magic, Revit suddenly accepts lines shorter than 0.8 mm´s (approx. 1/32") which would be the normal limit.
This "Ninja Trick" will NOT work in a project environment though... :beer:

good tip Munkholm, seems family environment has more tolorance than project environment.

hulkieshulkies625854
2013-04-15, 05:59 PM
You can move elements whatever distance you want, minute, small or big, just make sure the error symbol (Ø) beside your cursor isn't showing. In other words... drag your cursor far enough away from where you first clicked until the error symbol (Ø) disappears and then type in 0.1mm, 0.001mm or 0.0001mm don't worry - size doesn't matter, except I'd be worried if anything of any significance in anyones world is 0.0001mm.

P.S. I do not promote Revit as good software for 75% of the projects I work on, yet. Also I don't think that works for drawing just moving stuff ^^