PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Revit 2011 to Autocad

hpp88
2010-10-22, 07:06 PM
Hi All.

I would like to ask for any tips to watch for converting from Revit 2011 to Autocad 2010. I've gone through the usual practice of reviewing and adapting the .txt file controlling object category - layer co-relation. I've also "cleaned up" my Revit file as best possible. I'm having issues controlling filled regions - boundary line-type and fill, key plan fills, dimension styles, grid text background, wall hatches.

These items are "fixable" in autocad, but I'm wondering if there is a way to address these issues before getting to autocad.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

fernando
2010-10-25, 02:29 PM
What kind of problems you are having?
must be more explicit, please.

petervanko
2010-10-25, 03:49 PM
Hpp88,
This is just a symptom of the conversion, and requires a fair amount of post-processing once in AutoCAD. We, too, have found that hatches, text, and dimensions just don't translate that well; if you're seeking a "mapping" ability (i.e. copy monitor), it doesn't exist yet.
Best of luck,

hpp88
2010-10-29, 10:43 PM
I was having issues with filled regions. If you have a "transparent" filled region over a "surface" with a pattern, the surface pattern is not exported. The transparent filled region, which comes in as a solid fill, is the only pattern exported.
Dimensions - when you have overwritten dimension - i.e. use dimension but change text to verify or the like - this goes away and is replaced by the actual dimension. You will need to comb through your documents to make sure you catch those.
When you have graphics over rides in views / sheets, be aware that this will export as an over ride. The colors will not be per layer.
Text / Font type is set to standard, so if your standard in Autocad is txt, then you'll need to make sure you go in and select the appropriate font type.
Images linked get renamed to some long and funky name with your initials (basically the long version of the revit file name + image name). You'll need to re-path your cad files if you want to change the image file name once exported.
These are a few of the items that are very simple but tedious. A script can be written to address these, but it does take time to make the script and run the script, especially if you have a few hundred sheets.