PDA

View Full Version : RAC2010 and RAC2011 installed simultaneously?

Munkholm
2010-10-23, 07:14 PM
Remember when I first installed the first customer ship of Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011, that the "read me" told me (in details) how to uninstall RAC 2010 first… So I did, and installed RAC2011 successfully.

Since then, back in April, I´ve tried to install RAC2010 simultaneously with RAC2011, and ended up screwing the computer up so bad, that I needed to do a “format c:” and reinstall both windows and Revit…

As of now, my laptop is running 2010 (need that version for creating manufacture content) and the new stationary is running 2011 for my architectural work… but would love to get both versions on both computers….

Is there ANYWAY to get both versions installed on the same computer? And if – Could someone provide detailed information on the installation order ? Thanks you, and cheers. :beer:

Scott D Davis
2010-10-23, 07:23 PM
Hmmm, I have for years run multiple versions of Revit at the same time without any issues. This goes back to pre-Autodesk days for me when I was at WLC. I ran 3 and sometimes 4 versions of Revit all on the same machine at the same time.

With that said, I'm not sure why you are having problems. I currently have 2010 and 2011 installed and running on this laptop. I had 2010 installed, and just installed 2011 without uninstalling 2010 and it works fine. I'd like to tell you to just go ahead and install 2011 without touching 2010 and it should work. But I also don't want you to have to go through a complete reformat again :). I'll leave that decision up to you...but it *should* work without issues!

Dave Jones
2010-10-23, 07:29 PM
Remember when I first installed the first customer ship of Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011, that the "read me" told me (in details) how to uninstall RAC 2010 first… So I did, and installed RAC2011 successfully.

Since then, back in April, I´ve tried to install RAC2010 simultaneously with RAC2011, and ended up screwing the computer up so bad, that I needed to do a “format c:” and reinstall both windows and Revit…

As of now, my laptop is running 2010 (need that version for creating manufacture content) and the new stationary is running 2011 for my architectural work… but would love to get both versions on both computers….

Is there ANYWAY to get both versions installed on the same computer? And if – Could someone provide detailed information on the installation order ? Thanks you, and cheers. :beer:

for what it's worth, I also installed Revit 2011 on my desktop computer and laptop without uninstalling 2010 without any problems. I used 2010 for a bit after 2011 was installed on my desktop so I know that both versions work properly. I ended up uninstalling 2010 from my laptop again with no problems. Maybe it's your air over there :lol:

Munkholm
2010-10-23, 08:33 PM
Thank you both ! As I recall, the "Read me" back then was referring to get rid of the old "Protein Library"… so I just uninstalled 2010 and even deleted the proper entrys in the RegEdit (no questions asked) and installed 2011 with no problems… (And believe it or not, but my wife ALWAYS pick on me, for NOT reading the instructions...)

Guess I could try and install 2011 on my laptop which is already running 2010, and see if that works…

But I´m NOT really in the mood to go the opposite way with the stationary, unless someone can confirm that installing 2010 on top of a working 2011 can be a success ?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-10-25, 02:11 PM
Several of us the my office have 10 and 11 installed and running fine, afew even have 09 as well. You mentioned installing 11 on top of 10, just to be clear. It should be installed in its own directory seperate from the 10 install. The material libraries can be pathed different for each version to resolve to new Protein content in 11 only.

hypnox1
2010-10-25, 06:37 PM
Something to watch out for is the installation order. With the machine that has 2011 on it already you will want to uninstall 2011 before doing the 2010 installation. I have run into issues with installing older version after newer versions in the past where the newer version will lose it's activation, and be unable to activate, when an older version is installed after it. I've never gotten the answer from Autodesk as to why it behaves like this but I assume it has to do with the registry keys and how Autodesk products interact with them.

So on the machine that already has 2010 on it, installing 2011 should not cause any problems. However, for the one that already has 2011 on it I would do a clean uninstall on it. Install 2010 and activate 2010 then install 2011 and activate 2011 after the 2010 installation and activation.

This issue with the previous versions causing newer versions has been sporadic but i've seen it happen enough that it should be avoided. When I have run across this issue i've ended up having to use the microsoft uninstall utility to remove newer versions as they don't seem to show up in the Add or Remove Programs dialog in windows if it gets messed up.

Here are instructions for a clean uninstallation of 2011 products:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=9243099&id=14633513&siteID=123112

Munkholm
2010-10-25, 07:44 PM
Thanks Hypnox. Great to know that i´m not the only one, who´s had this problem !
Will try to uninstall 2011, and then install 2010 and 2011 (In that order) as suggested.

Would be nice if Autodesk could fix this "little" isue though ;)

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-25, 09:29 PM
Thanks Hypnox. Great to know that i´m not the only one, who´s had this problem !
Will try to uninstall 2011, and then install 2010 and 2011 (In that order) as suggested.

Would be nice if Autodesk could fix this "little" isue though ;)

Strange how its so sporadic in which machines it affects. Weve got 09, 10, and 11 running side by side on a few systems, without issue.