PDA

View Full Version : Wall Join, core, wrapping issue..bug or is there a logic for this one?

rsf
2004-12-28, 08:14 PM
Hello.
I'm tring a simple example but I just don't understang some detail in the way wall layers are joining.
I have an exterior wall with (from exterior to interior) 20 finish (plaster??), 150 brick, 50 air layer, 110 brick and 20 plaster again and 110 brick should be able to wrap.
The interior wall is 20 plaster + 150 brick + 20 plaster.
I've tried lots of possible layer function and some got close but...In the best setting I still get lines dividing the layers wich have the same material.
I'm attaching the project and a jpg.
If someone could give me some further explanation and advice on this would be great.
Thanks.

rsf
2004-12-28, 11:03 PM
Ok...The lines separating the brick are because the brick in the exterior wall must wrap and is outside the core. I can't make the interior wall brick outside the core so...is both are in core I can't wrap these layers. Any tips?
Thanks again.

beegee
2004-12-29, 06:31 AM
Traditional drafting graphics would show this wall insert as a continuous material wrapping exterior to interior at coarse scales. At finer scales, the detail would likely show the exterior skin continuing to the door frame and the interior skin wrapping to the exterior with a gap for the vertical DPC. That is the way it is drawn by Revit ( at Medium & Fine scales ) with only the interior brick skin set to wrap ( both brick skins are function Structure 1 ) and wrapping at inserts set to interior. As shown in the attached graphic. I don't mind the line between the two skins, since it is the correct construction anyway.

rsf
2004-12-29, 12:46 PM
Hello Beegee.
Thanks for the reply.
I agree that there should be a line separating both layers althought if layer is the same material and same width (in this case is made of the same brick) I leave the layers continuous...this in autocad ofcourse.
My main problem was not the insert wrap thought but the join with interior wall.
If I leave the interior brick layer of the exterior wall outside the core the interior wall always joins with the outside brick layer. Even if the exterior brick layer is also outside the core and with a lower function, for instance substract, the interior wall brick, wich function is structure, is going to cut the other structure brick layer to join the outside substract brick.
Edit walll joins won't give any other option.
Is there a way to solve this one? This is annoying because it's one of the most common situation.
Is revit currently addressing better wall join editing?
Another thing is controling layer wrap. I think one can define where the wraping stops inside the family but I haven't tried it yet. Could the wrap in this picture case stop at the other brick layer? In this case the outer layer is even in the core so...I think it shouldn't be cut.
Thanks again.

rsf
2004-12-29, 12:53 PM
Ok...forgot this one...
If the interior void layer is set to structure it works Althoug in this case I would like to skip the separation lines since both brick layers are the same width but...
I don't know yet the implication in other areas of having just the void layer in the core thought.
Thanks once more.

rsf
2004-12-29, 01:02 PM
Sorry...but since this is about wraping :)
Is there an option to turn on wraping in a section??
In a 3d view it appears.

aaronrumple
2004-12-29, 02:09 PM
This what you're looking for?

beegee
2004-12-30, 12:24 AM
Placing the inner skin in the core zone cleans up the intersecting interior wall condition at the expense of the insert wrap condition.
Unfortunately this is a common problem with "veneer " type walls.

This what you're looking for?

beegee
2004-12-30, 02:17 AM
A further comment on this issue.

You can (almost ) solve the problem using Join Geometry, however the intersecting brick skin will sit a small distance away from the veneered wall's interior skin ( by the render thickness ).

Remember that you need to pick the exterior wall first ( as the dominant member ) using the Join Geometry tool. ( or else the core air gap will be lost )

aaronrumple
2004-12-30, 02:22 PM
This works too....

rsf
2004-12-31, 01:11 AM
Thanks Beegee. Thanks Aaron.
Is there any way I can put this brick wrap inside the door family?
I tried creating a mass element and wall based generic model and nest it in the door but no luck yet...I couldn't join neither with the wall.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks and good new year's eve. :-)