PDA

View Full Version : custom gutter

pat.walsh
2010-10-25, 11:15 PM
Easy (dumb?) question I hope...
I have created a nice custom profile gutter by duplicating and editing a standard revit family gutter. I loaded it into my project and I can edit it via my project browser. I go to build panel > roof > gutter but I only get some system family option. How can I get my custom gutter placed?

dhurtubise
2010-10-26, 12:48 AM
The gutter tool itself uses a system family: Gutter. Look under the type and you will see the profile uses.
Duplicate and existing and use your profile.

pat.walsh
2010-10-26, 04:32 PM
For this gutter I have Family:Profiles but the usage is Gutter. How do I change to Family:Gutter?

cliff collins
2010-10-26, 05:05 PM
In the Project Browser, duplicate one of the standard gutter families, name it how you like,
then load your custom profile--see attached.

You can also Open the standard gutter profile family, save-as, specify your new profile, then load into project.

cheers

nancy.mcclure
2010-10-26, 09:37 PM
This is a lesson in shapes versus elements. Revit profiles are just SHAPES (although some profile templates are explicitly for specific complex functions). Once these profile shapes are loaded into the project, they must be applied to the tool type Revit uses to make the ELEMENT. Hence, creating a new Wall Sweep or CW Mullion type and applying your custom profile for it to use.

pat.walsh
2010-10-27, 03:11 PM
But when I open a profile the family editor looks just like it does when I open an element (I think). How can I tell the difference between a shape family and an element family. You can probably tell I know very little about families. I have the tutorial open...

cliff collins
2010-10-27, 03:49 PM
Pat,

In my reply, take a look at the attached image.

The part on the left shows the Project Browser, and lists the host object (Roof) and it's loaded available sub-components ( fascia, gutter etc.)

The part on right side shows the System Family Type of the Gutter, and its Profile--
which is the "shape" part Nancy mentions. The Profile family can be opened separately
from the project, edited/customized, saved, and loaded back into the project where you can duplicate/rename the Gutter Type, and then apply your new Profile.

You then click on the edge of the roof with the Gutter tool, and this is how Revit applies the Profile sweep to the roof edge. Same method for the fascia. This same method applies in many other Revit functions, such as sweeping a cornice onto a Wall, etc.

Hope that helps.

cheers

pat.walsh
2010-10-27, 05:43 PM
That helped tremedously. Thank you very much! I'd been working on and off on that for too long. Thanks all. Success!