PDA

View Full Version : Wall with Non-parallel sides (i.e. Garden Wall)

rtaube
2010-10-26, 12:50 PM
I've found a lot of information for a sloping wall, where the thickness of the wall is the same at the top and the bottom (parallelogram) However, I haven't seen anything for a wall that is thick at the base and slopes to a thinner top (trapezoid) like one would find in a garden wall or an old building.
Perhaps I can't find it because the solution is too easy, and it's too early for my brain. :)

examples:
http://tinyurl.com/2g9y2x7
http://tinyurl.com/284ty9g

The only solution I can come up with is to make a wall as thick as the base, and then create a giant triangular profile and sweep a reveal along the wall.

Cheers,

btrusty
2010-10-26, 02:42 PM
you could do a wall from face of generic model that is sloped in the orientation you need...

rtaube
2010-10-26, 03:32 PM
From my understanding, creating a wall from face will only put a sloped wall along that face but create the 'backend', but I could be wrong about that. I'm not sure if this is the best practice, but the way that I discovered that works best for me is to Model In-Place, and use a Sweep or Swept Blend. This allows me to select the category as "Wall".

The problem with a Swept Blend is that it doesn't allow me to use more than one curve in the Path, probably because it would have problems resolving the junction between curves, but that's not a huge obstacle.

nancy.mcclure
2010-10-26, 09:31 PM
This is definitely an example of how what you need to document should dictate how you should model it. example:

a) If your goal is visualization only, an in-place sweep or a swept-blend would be quick and easy. Each segment would be wholly unique, though, and scheduling options would be limited.

b) If scheduling/tagging for your documentation is necessary, I'd likely start with a standard wall assembly (unique type to any conventional site/retaining walls in the project) and supplement it with either Wall Sweeps or added in-place sweeps to achieve your canting. This way the standard wall family allows for conventional data mining, but you get the right geometry visually.

c) If a productized construction method is being considered (SIPS or precast systems) consider creating a family that can be placed and scheduled for counts

Hope that helps!