PDA

View Full Version : Jagged edges in 3D view - how to deal with?

info.266905
2010-10-26, 08:43 PM
Hello everybody,

I activated the option to antialias edges in 3D view, but the result is still disappointing
(see image attached).
Does anybody know how to make it look better? (maybe some hidden parameters in Registry)

Thanks!

cliff collins
2010-10-26, 09:15 PM
Just did a quick test:

see 2 attached images

One with antialiasing turned on in Options>Graphics
One with it turned off.

cheers

info.266905
2010-10-26, 09:32 PM
Yes, I have this option turned ON and the result is close to nothing (see attachment).

cliff collins
2010-10-26, 09:35 PM
Hmm.......

What graphics card are you using?

Make sure latest / recommended driver is installed--check for Revit 2011
compatibility, etc. Lots of info on this Forum about that--try searching.

cheers

info.266905
2010-10-26, 10:32 PM
I have ATI Radeon HD5970 video card and think it is supported well as other Radeon versions.

jbenoit44
2010-10-26, 10:52 PM
you should try with colors on, just to check your graphic card.

after that, update the card driver.

and after that check hardware acceleration, uncheck the option.

good luck

JB

patricks
2010-10-27, 04:03 PM
I just tried it, and it seems the antialiasing effect only applies to lines shown as a single pixel in width on the screen.

So if I'm in a 3D view and Thine Lines is turned on, the antialiasing is always there. If I turn off thin lines, though, the antialiasing effect seems to go away once I zoom in enough to make lines appear 2 or more pixels wide on the screen.

patricks
2010-10-27, 04:30 PM
I just tried it, and it seems the antialiasing effect only applies to lines shown as a single pixel in width on the screen.

So if I'm in a 3D view and Thine Lines is turned on, the antialiasing is always there. If I turn off thin lines, though, the antialiasing effect seems to go away once I zoom in enough to make lines appear 2 or more pixels wide on the screen.

I took 2 screen shots, both with Thin Lines turned off. The first one is zoomed out a certain amount, and the second one is zoomed in 1 click on my mouse wheel. You can see that when thicker lines are shown, the antialiasing effect is lost.

info.266905
2010-10-28, 09:12 AM
In my case it doesn't work even with the thin lines mode enabled :(

tropitech
2010-10-29, 12:06 AM
clutching at straws here...what sort of monitor are you using? is it set to it's native resolution?

interesting to read what patricks found about thin lines.

Alex Page
2010-10-30, 10:10 PM
Im pretty sure the revit anti-aliasing button doesnt do anything with any of the ATI Radoen graphic cards (big call I know!)

I would suggest going into the ATI catalyst control centre and playing around there, starting with the following

In the Anti-Aliasing section, ensure the application override is disabled. Methinks this is the problem with the ATI card not recognising Revit, so you want to turn this off so it "forces" the card to use antialiasing...
Play around with the slider and see if it makes any difference to you

Ive had some success with this approach

saeborne
2010-11-01, 05:44 PM
I've banged my head against this issue time, and time again. So much that there is now an imprint on my forehead, in the exact shape of a space bar.

The best solution that I have found is to rely on Adobe PDF. When I export images, I can never get the line work to be anti-aliased. Doesn't matter if the button is checked, or what graphics card settings I try.

However, when I print to PDF, the linework is anti-aliased.

Now, PDF is not a panacea. For example, I'm finding that it breaks things like Ambient Occlusion settings for ambient shadows. So I end up exporting each view twice... once as a shaded view (with out edges), via the image export dialogue box.

Then I print a PDF of the same view as a Hidden Line view. The last step is assembling in photoshop, and setting the linework layer to multiply. The only trick is getting the resolutions to be consistent.