PDA

View Full Version : Vertically Sloping Bay with Corner Windows... !!!! ....

Paul Monsef
2004-12-28, 11:31 PM
I'm working on a rather complex model, and before i jump in to add a lot of the detailing I thought i'd get some advice...

This project is going to require a few sloping bay windows (see attached); not really a problem as an inplace wall family seemed to work (and even look good). However, on one bay i need a corner window assembly. :shock:

Maybe i should just add vertically sloped walls to the wish list and wait for 8.0... :Puffy:

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-12-29, 01:53 AM
If you create the walls as curtain sytems with just a single panel and then assign the exterior wall type to those side panels does that give you the effect you're after? (assuming you are using R7)

beegee
2004-12-29, 01:57 AM
If you play around with the attached family you will probably get what you need.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-12-29, 02:58 AM
this is a job for....."ruled curtain systems" The can be sloped, and host regular walls. Think of the whole thing as a curtain system, make the spandral panels whatever wall type you need.

cool model/design by the way.

SkiSouth
2004-12-29, 12:15 PM
I'm with czoog on this one. 7.0 's curtain walls are unbelieveably flexible now. Should be a very quick build for these windows as one system with infill spandrels. I used a quick extruded mass model and converted the face to a curtain system. For the attached image.

Paul Monsef
2004-12-29, 06:05 PM
Thanks all!! I never would have thought of a ruled curtain system containing typ. exterior wall types. I'll give it a shot this AM.

One thing I did come across, even with an in-place sloping wall family, windows will not insert parallel with the wall (see attached).

Paul Monsef
2004-12-30, 07:26 PM
OK, I've sorta blocked out and "roughly" modeled the Bay Window... However, having never used curtain wall or curtain panels prior to this project i'm having problems getting it to look pretty.

(1) How do i get the glazing corner to die into a mullion... It seems if i add a corner mullion everything just runs together... (2) Same with the corner at the solid panel, they seem to run together and not join.

Other that the mullion problems (which is probably me not being familiar with how this system works), i think it's coming along nicely!

Thanks for any advice.

nj_lockwood
2005-01-04, 11:02 PM
At least in the latest version of 7.0, the corner mullions and panels on this vertically sloping bay seem to be fine (except for a barely detectable deformity at the bottom of each side panel).

Please let me know if you are still (in a recent 7.0 download) getting bad mullion and panel joining at corner mullions on this type of thing (at least on this simple example).

Paul Monsef
2005-01-05, 07:53 PM
At least in the latest version of 7.0, the corner mullions and panels on this vertically sloping bay seem to be fine (except for a barely detectable deformity at the bottom of each side panel).

Please let me know if you are still (in a recent 7.0 download) getting bad mullion and panel joining at corner mullions on this type of thing (at least on this simple example).
Thanks... I still, for the life of me, can't get the mullions around the glazing panels.