PDA

View Full Version : curved ceilings & light fixtures?

brandino
2010-10-28, 10:55 PM
I am trying to figure out how to make ceilings that are not just flat or sloped, but curved or other shape? I have a barrel vault ceiling, and b/c I supposed there was no way to do it, I made it out of a roof extrusion command. However, I am not able to place suspended light fixtures to it. I assume that light fixture component families only can be placed on a ceiing family? So, how can I achieve a cuved vaulted ceiling look and still have light fixtures attached to it that enables me to utilize their rendering affects, etc.?

tropitech
2010-10-29, 12:37 AM
model your geometry as a ceiling, not a roof.

twiceroadsfool
2010-10-29, 01:11 AM
Face Based Fixtures can mount Normal to any point on any flat surface. Make them Face Based instead of ceiling hosted.

We hold Revit Categories fairly sacred in this office, but it sucks when you can make a Roof by Extrusion or face, and not a ceiling. Lousy. Lousy.

Ning Zhou
2010-10-29, 04:42 PM
you can use API to convert (OOTB) ceiling based stuff into face based.

Munkholm
2010-10-29, 07:49 PM
you can use API to convert (OOTB) ceiling based stuff into face based.

Joe, could you PLEASE elaborate on that ? Like a detailed step by step instruction for us API dummies ? :-)

Ning Zhou
2010-10-30, 12:21 AM
Joe, could you PLEASE elaborate on that ? Like a detailed step by step instruction for us API dummies ? :-)

Munkholm, i did a test before and it works, but i didn't add much UIs to my program yet, i may spend some time to finalize it in the near future.

i assume you have basic knowledge of computer programming like C#, VB, etc.
1) download Revit 2011 SDK which includes lots of document, guidelines, API samples, etc.
2) download Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2008 or 2010 version which is free.
3) start w/ simple "Hello World" sample which is one of many API samples in SDK, and follow guidelines.

if you only have very few ceiling based stuff to convert, upload and i can just convert for you.

tropitech
2010-10-30, 10:45 AM
We hold Revit Categories fairly sacred in this office, but it sucks when you can make a Roof by Extrusion or face, and not a ceiling. Lousy. Lousy.

I didn't even stop to think about this (doh) but i do enjoy learning something new each day, thank you :)

nicesave2000
2010-11-01, 12:14 AM
I am trying to figure out how to make ceilings that are not just flat or sloped, but curved or other shape? I have a barrel vault ceiling, and b/c I supposed there was no way to do it, I made it out of a roof extrusion command. However, I am not able to place suspended light fixtures to it. I assume that light fixture component families only can be placed on a ceiing family? So, how can I achieve a cuved vaulted ceiling look and still have light fixtures attached to it that enables me to utilize their rendering affects, etc.?

I agree with tropitech; for some reason light fixtures can't be hosted by a roof. If you drew a thin ceiling you could place light fixtures without the roof package getting too thick. An idea is that maybe something in the light fixture or roof properties would allow a roof to host a light fixture. If my response sounds "rookie"; it's because I am. Nice replies to read though.

brandino
2010-11-03, 11:30 PM
Face Based Fixtures can mount Normal to any point on any flat surface. Make them Face Based instead of ceiling hosted.

How do you change the fixture to be face based rather than ceiling hosted?

Scott Womack
2010-11-05, 10:35 AM
You can't "change" it. It would have to be re-created in a family started with a different template.

lnguyen.251740
2011-02-02, 11:31 PM
I had this problem two days ago. You can create a sweep (ceiling sweep) to the shape that you want. It will host lights. Following are the commands to create a sweep.

SWEEP
• Sweep in project file (this command is used for objects that are not standard):
HOME > COMPONENT > MODLE IN-PLACE > name the object > select reference line (this line/plane is parallel to profile of the object to be made (on plan if doing a ceiling). It is like a section) (options different for each type of family: mass, casework…) > SOLID > SWEEP > SKETCH A PATH (sketch the path of the sweep) > FINISH PATH > EDIT PROFILE > choose the plane to draw the profile in (usually one of the elevations) > draw the profile of the sweep > FINISH PROFILE > finish all

• Adding color/finish to a sweep: select object > model in plane > MODEL IN-PLACE > select object again > EDIT SWEEP > SWEEP PROPERTIES > EDIT PROPERTIES > make changes > finish all

renogreen
2011-02-03, 05:10 PM
Just saw this post. Why not create the ceiling using an in-place family. I've used this method for dome type ceilings and then was able to hang suspended light fixtures with ease.