PDA

View Full Version : Stair sketch - dimension aggravation...

stacey
2010-10-29, 09:22 AM
Please can someone clarify?

I am in a stair sketch with simple risers to create stairs, and risers spaced further apart to create landings. I would like to change the spacing of my risers, but when I dimension the riser group before the landing and make them equal, there is no anchor symbol to anchor the dimension... surely we should have full functionality of dimensions, whether we're in sketch mode or not? When I click on a riser and try to change the temporary dimension, revit tells me that it can't change the dimension segment to this value. What am I missing? Do I have to click on each riser and change the dimension manually?

Thanks for the help!

ws
2010-10-29, 04:01 PM
Stair sketches can be odd and I usually add some reference planes when using the EQ dimension feature, for the start and end positions of the set of risers I am trying to equalise.

I also find problems editing previously completed stair sketches and it is sometimes better to scrap it and start again.

stacey
2010-11-01, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the tip - Good idea to use the ref planes...I haven't tried that before... and you're right about scrapping old stair sketches - a colleague had a staircase last week that wasn't working as it should - so we deleted the sketch and it works fine now that it's been redrawn! Stoopid stairs...

cdatechguy
2010-11-01, 02:50 PM
There are times I want to abandon using the stairs tool and just create them as a family. Unfortunately you cannot specify a generic model in the Stairs and Railing category.

I could just create object types under Generic Models I guess....things might actually dimension better in sections perhaps...