PDA

View Full Version : Creating a curved window family

p.stewart
2010-10-29, 07:04 PM
I'm trying to create a curved widow family for placement in a curved wall, but I don't seem to be able to place a curved host wall in the Window template file.

Is there any way to do this, or to edit the standard straight wall to be curved?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-10-29, 07:34 PM
You can't truely do a curved window but there are a couple work arounds. A custom wall of 1" glass will probably get you the closest. Keep in mind though that curved glass is rather expensive and typically it ends up being segmented into straight sections to approximate the curve.

cliff collins
2010-10-29, 07:38 PM
Take a look here:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=117551&highlight=curved+glass&page=2

cheers

p.stewart
2010-10-29, 07:46 PM
I know there are lots of ways to model 'curved' glass, but my question specifically relates to how to create a window Family which creates an opening in a curved wall.

All families which are hosted in walls only supply a straight segment of wall. My question is how do I get a curved segment of wall into the Family template file.

cliff collins
2010-10-29, 07:53 PM
1. The "wall" inside a family template is a system family, and as far as I know it's not editable or interchangeable with a curved wall.

2. The Opening Cut would have to be curved, to cut a curved opening in a curved wall.
I do not think this is possible.

Thus the responses about a curved glass wall, etc.

cheers

Scott D Davis
2010-10-29, 09:12 PM
I know there are lots of ways to model 'curved' glass, but my question specifically relates to how to create a window Family which creates an opening in a curved wall.

All families which are hosted in walls only supply a straight segment of wall. My question is how do I get a curved segment of wall into the Family template file.

You can't. You will need to build the curved window protruding from the straight wall in the family editor. The opening will need to be removed in the family and replaced with a void that will cut through the wall's thickness at the radius desired. The void could be a plan-based extrusion that matches the inside and outside radius of the wall.

kmatis
2010-11-02, 02:27 AM
Try embedding a curtain wall into the curved wall. Worked for me on a curved wall.

Kevin

gwnelson
2010-11-02, 03:01 PM
Here's one that I made a few years ago. I'm not going to look at it now to see how bad it is in today's light, but it worked back then.