PDA

View Full Version : Parametric Flood Legend

avtoys
2010-11-03, 08:08 PM
In my attempts to create a Flood Legend, I started with the Generic Annotation Family that I could load into any project and be able to drag it right unto a sheet.

In the same way that the Project Address label works in Title Blocks and that label is now populated with the Address in your Project Information, I want the information on that Flood Legend to populate with the parameters that I've added to Project Information. I've managed to add additional parameters to my Project Information tab such as Folio, Lot, Block, Plat Book and Subdivision. Only problem is, that when I do drag and drop that Flood Legend on a sheet, all of those parameters come out with the sample value I initially put in the family or just a question mark. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-03, 11:19 PM
From the title block family, add a label that works with a shared parameter; for example "Lot Info". Then, load the titleblock into a project. In the project, go to Manage > Project Parameters > from the Shared parameters file, add the "Lot Info" parameter that you created in the titleblock family. Make it apply to sheets. Then, select one or more sheets from the Project Browser, and you'll be able to enter the information in the Lot Info label.

avtoys
2010-11-04, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the help Alfredo. What's funny is that before your response I created a label called "subdivision" inside of a title block family, loaded it into the project and it did plug in the subdivision number I stipulated in the project information parameters. I was just testing the label. Thing is this Flood Legend kinda looks like a table, a simple rectangle with a bunch of static notes inside of it referencing building code. Along with that static text there are portions where previously in ACAD I would fill in the blank fields with the specific Plat Book, Block, Subdivision, etc. for that property. I want to keep it separate from the title block but I obviously do want to place it on the sheet. I was really wanting to have it as a drafting view that I can just drag and drop unto a sheet.

My aim is to be able to add as much information as I can from the survey into the Project Information menu right at the beginning of the project. Then, whenever I insert a note on a sheet that prompts for this information, I want Revit to automatically plug in those fields.

Are you suggesting that I edit the title block family that I normally use, add this table there with all the labels I need, do a "save as" and then load this title block with this flood legend already on it when I create a new sheet? Just might be a workaround. If that wasn't what you meant, please explain a little further. I just still might try that workaround though lol

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-05, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the help Alfredo. ...Are you suggesting that I edit the title block family that I normally use, add this table there with all the labels I need, do a "save as" and then load this title block with this flood legend already on it when I create a new sheet? Just might be a workaround. If that wasn't what you meant, please explain a little further. I just still might try that workaround though lol

Well, if you're going to be inserting that legend in your titleblocks, you may want to consider making it a part of your titleblock, with some control over the visibility. Since that information applies to some sheets only, you would need to apply some visibility controls to turn that information off when you don't need it.

The reason why your legend doesn't work is probably because the parameters in your generic annotation family are not shared, so there is no relation between parameters in your project and parameters in the family.

avtoys
2010-11-07, 09:26 PM
Thanks Alfredo. I made the whole thing on a separate title block family. What's nice is that much of the info on the Flood Legend is the same as the Legal Description of the property, so it populates that as well but I hadn't thought of using Visibility Graphics. I'm gonna def. give VG a try on that. It would have been nice to have a Generic Annotation family with shared parameters though, like Title Blocks have.