PDA

View Full Version : Nested Family Rooms Assemblies

kmarquis
2010-11-04, 02:06 PM
I work in Healthcare and we work with a lot of repetative rooms with a lot of equipment that has to be placed.

For the most part we show all these pieces of equipment dashed and I'm kicking around the idea of making a nested family room assembly for our library to use from project to project. Everything would be arranged with the proper clearances, heights and sizes and I could set up instance parameters for room sizes so the equipment would move to the face of the wall.

I've seen people posting threads about doing this with toilet rooms but just wanted to get some feedback. I understand there will always be unique room situations with columns and windows, etc but for the most part they're square rooms.

This would really streamline the equipment process and I really don't love working with groups. Any thoughts?

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-05, 02:35 AM
I would create a model family with some nested families. For example, if you always have to have some basic set of casework, equipment and furniture elements, with some minor variations depending on the room, you can put together a set of those elements in a family, where each element has a label associated with a family parameter. Once in the project, you can have a drop down list for each element, such as "wardrobe", a, b, or c , "base cabinet", a, b, or c, "wall cabinet"... etc, so that you can obtain different combinations from the same family and satisfy the needs of multiple similar types of rooms.

cliff collins
2010-11-05, 05:33 PM
...........and make sure they are shared nested families, so they will tag once loaded
into the project.

cheers

Ning Zhou
2010-11-05, 08:09 PM
i didn't test it but if i remember correctly, after using SHARED nested family type lable, once loaded into project, the dropdown list will list ALL types of SAME category which is quite annoying,

for instance, i have 2 families
1) a window or door w/ shared nested GM of a, b, c, etc. (for family label)
2) a casework w/ shared nested GM of x, y, z, etc. (for family label)

at project level, if i want to change casework family's label, the dropdown list not only list x, y, z but also list a, b, c.

i don't know if i missed something, or no longer an issue anymore, or still an issue needs to be resolved?

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-05, 09:29 PM
Ive done it as families, with nested shared families, and ive done it with groups. I personally prefer the groups, but you CAN do it with the families. As mentioned, if you try to type selector the shared nested families, you will get ALL families of the category in the drop down. Its definetely still an issue, with no good workarounds besides hacking up categories.

Using Families makes it tougher to edit things that are room dimension appropriated, since you cant edit components (out of place) in place. You also cannot include system families in them, without some hacks.

Personally, id do the groups. Then i even include the room, finish walls, etc.